View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Ishmael's Ending & Questions 
All-star
All-star

:P OK. I did it. I finished Ishmael (finally!). The ending wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. It actually redeeemed the book a little. Chapters 8 & 9 were the hardest for me. I'll honestly have to go back and reread parts of both chapters b/c at some points I felt as if I were merely "calling words", you know? I started using post-its early in the book (see Ishmael post) but unfortunately I failed to take notes for the last part of the book :(

As far as a theme for the book. . . :? I think I'm ok with the idea of Leavers & Takers, but I didn't make the religious connection I thought I would when I first started the book. I also don't see how I can make it fit into my classroom instruction or my philosophy as a teacher. What about anyone else :?:

Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:44 pm
All-star
All-star

i think the point of the book is social/political and religious.... it is often too hard to separate the three these days.

there are people on earth who pass through, enjoy the beauty, try to live honest, good lives struggling for truth and integrity, and respect for life.

there are individuals and unfortunately whole groups, parties and coalitions of people who sweep across the earth mining and harvesting all they can, never replanting for future generations... their view is one of supremacy in all manners and their harsh convictions and rash moves plunder the earth literally and emotionally and politically.

what i get from this is how important it is to teach children to think , examine and act with reverence and respect for God's creation and all humanity. to me, this is perhaps the greatest and most precious gift a teacher can impart.

does this make any sense?

Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:32 pm
All-star
All-star

:idea: It make lots of sense and was beautifully said, Airlie. Thank you! I don't know why, but I never thought of it that way. As a teacher i'm always looking for those "precious gifts to impart" and this is one that will stay with me. Thnak you again!!

Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:07 am
All-star
All-star

Even though I am NOT a big fan of the book, I do like what Airlie had to say about it.

Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]