View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 "Teachable Moments" Maxine Greene 
All-star
All-star

After reading the Maxine Greene article, I thought about those teachable moments. Whether we take a class for a walk outside, time on the play ground, or having an art activity just to mention a few, every once in a while you can see a little flicker of opportunity to share with a child knowledge or wisdom that could last a life time. For example, as an art teacher, yes I taught an elective, but, reinforceing a teacher's efforts toward testing was important to me as well.
Once I did a unit showing the differences in Chinese and
Japanese Art work. By sharing their ancient history, using tools and various mediums to produce the art, etc., all was used to expose students to opportunities to read, learn the history of a different culture, also, how to use a ruler to measure and cut a matt for the purpose of presenting the finished piece of art, etc. I enjoyed using those moments to enlighten the children as well as support their teacher's efforts.

Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Phyllis, I agree. I think those teachable moments are the ones that truly represent the reason we all went into education. Finally seeing a child's eyes light up with the recognition of a concept really makes my day. Michelle

Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:24 pm
All-star
All-star

Michelle, I agree with you. Some of my most rewarding teachable moments are when my students glow with excitement :lol: as they learn a new concept :idea: or feel like they have contributed something important to class. Sometimes these are not part of a planned lesson, but surprising joys for both the student and me.
Cindy

Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:57 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel that a lot of times it is the life lessons that we teach kids that matter the most. I find this especially true with teaching kindergarteners. They often don't know how to handle problems that come up or how to communicate with other children. I guess we call it character education and it doesn't often begin at home as it should. When I see students learning how to solve their own problems or taking time to help and think of one another I know I am doing my job. Don't get me wrong, children must learn to read, write, etc. but for all that to take place and for a child to be truly sucessful they must learn "survival" skills and "people" skills.

Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]