View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 My intelligence 

Well other than a destroyed self esteem due to the fact that not only a 6 year old is smarter than I (Ender), now even a gorilla has me beat. Oh well, maybe tonight my ego will be restored.

Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:20 pm
All-star
All-star

you are perfectly intelligent and should not put yourself down because we read some interesting books with controversial viewpoints. the things you had posted or said are logical and rational.

quinn chose a gorilla to convey his message for a distinct purpose. it makes it so much more interesting hearing the view of the more natural life espoused by another species of intelligent life.( good grief they are even putting tiny wet cams on dolphins in the harbors to help look for underwater mines in murky water outside the main port city they want to send water, food, medicine to in iraq. think how awesome that is... inter species cooperation!)

i have read lots of interesting work by people who work with gorillas and chimps with sign language and computer augmented communication.
ishmael represents a distinct possibility/reality that we are not the only ones with intelligence, something to say and something at stake.

hang in there girl, you are not as far removed from the picture as you think. :!:

Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:58 pm
All-star
All-star

Jean...

I agree with you from the bottom of my heart...I have felt lke an idiot while reading Ishmael. I have not enjoyed the book and just don't seem to get it. I am reading the words on the pages...but so what. I am not understanding or getting what is being said. Talk about low self-esteem...I am right there with you. Like a slap in the face....whack.

Randy

Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

randy! stop it right now! our class has a tremendous number of different people with different views and we are reading all sorts of thins to rattle our cages. you are a very intelligent man with a tremendous gift for teaching. there is little that you do that you do not think about carefully and put your heart into. i would love to teach with someone like you.

you and jean are not allowed to put yourselves down one more minute!
S-T-O-P.

jean your comment on death was really right on the money. i wish people had been comfortable saying more. i agree with you it is the turning point in the history of the takers.

Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:29 am
All-star
All-star

I always feel like people look at me like I'm crazy when I say I don't "get something". But then when I make a comment about something I think I really do get, they look at me even funnier. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. You know the old saying... "Opinions are like BEEP, everybody's got one. :roll:

Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel the same way until I get to class and realize other people had a hard time understanding things too or it means different things to us. That makes me feel better. I have to say that by being forced to read things we wouldn't normally choose to read, we will all be more intelligent by the end of this class. That's one of the reasons I came back to school. I needed this stimulation. I spent everyday trying to explain things in the simpliest vocabulary.

Sat Mar 29, 2003 8:35 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Sometimes as I was reading Ishmael, I thought I was really beginning to understand the book. but by the next page I would be questioning whether I had understood anything I had read and wondered if I should just start over because I felt so lost. You're right Cathy, these books and our class discussions do stimulate you to think in a different way than I usually do with my class of first graders. Like you, I'm always trying to keep my instructions in simply terms. I don't think I've ever had such deep thoughts or such deep confusion about what I'm reading!

Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]