View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The inequality of it all 
All-star
All-star

As I have reviewed the information in the book a contrast between the wealthy and poor certainly stands out. How do we as educators help bridge the gap to allow a more equitable education for all students when in fact we do have some of those same difficulties in our own back yard? There are so many different aspects to a working school system that we have yet to learn about, particularly the business part of it. Where does all the money go? Can we alott more money to the schools that need it, if not, why not? Why do systems allow inequalities that subject their students to the dire circumstances they find themselves in? It is no wonder that teachers willingly pay for many items out of their own pocket to supplement the needs of their students.

Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:22 pm
All-star
All-star

It all boils down to POLITICS and the fact that the most of the people making the decisions have no idea what they're doing. Or if they do, they just aren't concerned because it doesn't directly affect them or anyone they care about. :cry:

Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:37 pm

we need to get past blame and work towards finding solutions to such issues. The Political arena should not take all the blame, we vote them in. The solution lies in the efforts of all parents, teachers, politicians, businesspeople, etc. Now that we know who, the big question is HOW???

Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Instead of throwing $$$ at the symptoms, let's try to be proactive . Prenatal care, parent education classes, strenghten community ties...... Where is that "village" that is suppose to help raise these children??? What kind of society do we live in where it is mandated that TEACHERS supply "character education"?? What happened to dear old mom and dad? What would it take to get them involved in the character education of their own children?[/img]

Sat Jan 25, 2003 9:17 pm
All-star
All-star

Sadly, I really don't think some of today's parents know they are doing anything wrong. I do believe they love their children and want what's best for them, how could they not? But, if they grew up in a home with no food and only one set of clothes then they are providing their child with a better life simply by having food in the house and clothes to wear. I agree with Dawn, we must educate parents from the day they become pregnant. Actually a fellow teacher, who teaches pre-k, and myself set out to do just that. We had some terrific ideas but we needed money to get things going. We searched and searched for a possible grant to help us. Funny thing is all the grants we found had one stipulation that held us back. All the grants we found required the money go to benefit school aged children. If anyone know of a grant that would support educating parents of newborns and toddlers please let me know.

Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:45 am
All-star
All-star

In response to Diane's question about alloting more money to needy schools, I don't know if we could do that but it would cause some concern among the parents of the other children. They would complain that they are paying taxes and living where they are so that their child can go to a school that has everything. I don't know that it is greed, but rather they don't understand how unfortunate some of these other students are. For example, where I taught in Charlotte I had the haves and have nots. Parents of the haves simply couldn't understand that every child didn't bring their bookbag to school, or get read with every night, etc. So often we as teachers even say that we don't understand parents, imagine someone who doesn't even work in the school system trying to understand.
I guess we are back to educating the public and those in office. And most importantly educating the public so they will put into office those people that will make the changes needed to have an equitable school system.

Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:54 am
All-star
All-star

I agree it isn't just money we need. For example, we have this stupid Total Quality program in our county that is paid for with federal funds allotted JUST for new innovative ideas. Great thought, BUT it is such a waste of funds. (I know, Dr. Turner, I'm doing what you don't want us to do--I think we ought to "rob Mary to pay Paul...")

Meanwhile, we are overcrowded--so much so that our lunch actually lasts 12 minutes when we sit down because our little cafeteria (built for 300, serving 600) must get all the children through between 10:50 and 1:00. (That is a law, by the way.)

AND we are on an energy savings program (Good idea, hypothetically) that requires us to shut down our computers every day (very bad for computers, by the way--I know because that is my husband's area--but the computers are paid for out of a different pot of money that they aren't as worried about), turn our heat down to 55 degrees at the end of the school day (dumb, because it takes a lot of energy to heat back up, right?), and we are told NOT to use electricity until the students arrive (not a lot of fun for those who like to do their planning early in the morning when it is quiet). But the killer is: we pay someone a salary to go around and check on his rules, writing up any teachers who leave things on at night. I've been feeling a little sarcastic and unplugging my clock each day, and I've had myself photographed in my coat, toboggan, gloves, and scarf using a flashlight to write in my gradebook at my desk. I haven't sent it to him YET. I am trying to think of the perfect subject line. Perhaps: "Doing my part to save energy at D.S.E.S." Ideas for a better subject line are welcome.

Parents: This is my take and you need to consider that we have a different set of parents in the country. I'd like to say this to some teachers at my school, but I can't, so you guys get to hear me out. :)

I really believe that I have never ever met a child who doesn't have at least one care-giver who loves them and wants the best for them. I have met timid, hard-working /busy, and guilt-ridden parents. Some of them avoid the school setting because of those things. For our area, we make more than almost all of our parents, strange as it sounds. Most have some type of respect for teachers even if it is somewhat resentful. Once you break through the barrier though, it is amazing how much of a difference you can see in the child, the parent, and the homework. I am not saying that kids aren't neglected or abused. AND I am certainly not condoning bad parenting. (I have and will report every case I see.) I am just saying that they lack the parenting skills and the support they need to raise these children and many times they feel very alone. Teachers must try to connect with them. It is often life-changing for the children. Sometimes, we fall into a pattern of saying that they don't care BEFORE we try to meet these parents. And the truth is that they do care. Call me "naive" and remind me of my mere four-years of experience..go ahead. I can take it. What I couldn't do is this job, believing that I was alone in it and not able to use parents as powerful allies.

Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:15 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Amanda, you are right that parents can be trained to be good parents. I mentioned in class that half my conference time is spent teaching parenting skills. My first grade parents don't know that they are needed to read with their children every night, but if I tell them it is required and if I follow up by calling them or sending home notes when they don't, they do it. I have even told parents this is not the time to get a second shift job. Their child needs them at home in the evenings more than the extra money. My newsletter each week tells them what we are doing in class and how I need them to do certain practice activities with them at home. I truly beleive if you educate parents so they know specific things they can do, and let them feel needed, they do care and will help. I have taught 25 years and have found exceptions, but I can usually get the grandparents involved in these cases or bug them enough that they'll help their child just to get me off their back.

Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:57 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

In Savage Inequalites... pg. 120 a realtor notes, "you can look at the charts for school expenditures and use them to determine if your neighbors will be white and wealthy or, conversely, black or white but poor." It goes on to say in Newsday, "now we can use the "Statistical Profiles" as a more authoritiative source. Superintendents in some districts say the publication, which compares student performance, spending, staff and such in every state school system, "will be useful for home-buyers." For real-estate agents in the highest-rated districts, the appearance of this publication is good news." For who? Can we rely on the school districts, our political leaders to come to the aide of disadvantaged student's? Or, is it left up to individuals to take the bull by the horns to pull them selves out of poverty? Or is it for some, like a dog chasing it's tail, a never ending cycle, you see the light at the end of the tunnel but, how do you get their. Do the poor and poorer and the rich get richer?

Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have often thought that all citizens should be required to spend a full day in a school. I believe that the ordinary citizen and voter does not understand what it takes to be in a classroom, much less run a school. Certainly any elected official should be required to read Kozol's book and spend a week in different schools.

Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]