View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Nathan Price 
All-star
All-star

I am really enjoying The Poisonwood Bible, but I would like to find Reverend Nathan Price and smack him around a little bit. I don't know who he thinks he is, but he really needs a reality check.

I am about half-way through the book, so things could change...but I just cannot imagine a man that would cause his family to suffer and endure such undo stress just because he thinks he knows what is right for all whose path he crosses.

I think that Orleana Price reminds me so much of my mother and I just want to reach into the pages of the book and shake her. My mother is still with her abusive husband and all of her children (who are grown) have tried to convince her to leave...but for some reason she just won't budge. We cannot figure it out, but it just seems like there is this wall that she doesn't seem to be able to climb. I hope that Mrs. Price can climb her wall and tell the Reverend where to stick it.

Randy Image

Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Randy, I too wanted to smack that reverend! He certainly caused much pain to his family. I'm not sure what made Olrleanna stay with him, but the book is set in the early 60's and I think women did not have much of a voice then as they do now. I know when my mom who is from Canada married, she once told me that her father stated that "when you make your bed, you have to lay in it", (I'm sure he was unsure of my American father taking his daughter to the states), or the life you chose is the "one you must make the best of". I don't know if that was her way of thinking, but I do know that in that time, women did not leave as readily as they would today.

Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:08 am
All-star
All-star

I agree!! So far, I don't like Nathan. He just seems mean and sees his way as the only way. We'll just have to see if my opinion changes.

DANA

Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:04 pm
All-star
All-star

Ooh my gosh!! I could not believe how a christian man could be so cold and self-centered. It was impossible for me to visualize how Orleanna
could allow him to treat her the way he did. In her perspective she felt that she and her family were owned like a piece of land. That just isn't right!!! God created marriage and he did not create OWNERSHIP! . I do feel that Orleanna felt that she was marrying the right man until he returned from war and changed completely. I'm looking forward to the end of the book to hopefully see a dramatic change in POOR NATHAN.

Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:10 pm
All-star
All-star

Later in the book, Orleanna explains how she got sucked into it all and why she couldn't get out. It's interesting to find out how she was before Nathan. Also, there is a whole "marriage" theme relating there marriage to the marriage of white men and Africa. It really makes sense. You get yourself in to deep and just can't get out.

Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't like Nathan Price either. I think he is self-centered and weak. He bullies everyone so he can feel powerful.

Cindy

Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I think Kelly made a good point. I don't like Nathan but I do feel some sort of sympathy for him. Yeah he was a little over zealous in the religion department, but before the war he seemed to be able to hold it together. If you look at it that way - it's not totally his fault. I just think of all the troops (past and present) who deal with monstrosities that we can't even imagine. You just never know what that could do to a person . . .

Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:43 am
All-star
All-star

I thought it was interesting that the reason Nathan's crops wouldn't grow was because there were no bees. I would never have guessed that. He was so determined to show the people of the Congo what they were missing out on by not having these vegetables.

I am anxious to finish the book now after our discussion in class so that I can make since of what those of you have finished the book were talking about in code tonight.

This is not about the book, but did you see on tv the statue of Sadam being destroyed? His head was being pulled down the street and children were beating it. Wow!

Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]