View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Poisonwood- Chance/Misunderstanding 
All-star
All-star

I said in an earlier post that reading the book made me feel guilty. I have finished the book and the feeling just got worse as I went along. It seems that all of the problems between the Price's and the Congolese were just based on one misunderstanding after another. Nathan's pig headness didn't help at all. Everyone thinks that their way is the only one that makes sense. What most of us believe in is totally founded in chance. It depends on where and under what conditions we were born. If I were born in Iraq I just might be shouting praised to Sadam right now and not see a thing in the world wrong with it. Who knows? Some parts of the book just sickened me, like when Muhammed Ali came to Africa and was paid $5 million for a boxing match when most Congolese were starving. It made me angry just reading about it. I couldn't help think about how I'd feel if it were actually my own children starving. It's all about greed and wanting way more than what you need even if others are dying because of it.

Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:01 pm

the saddest part is that billions of dollars were being made through the rubber and diamond industry and nothing was given back to the people of the Congo. Take till there is no more and leave the people to fight for each meal. I wonder what the people of the Congo would do with $$$ and how/if it would really change their situation.

Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:55 am
All-star
All-star

The books we have read this semester like Savage Inequalities and Poisonwood have really made me realize that I live a life of excess compared to the people in these books. I am certainly not rich, but all of my needs are met and then some. I often complain about not having enough money, wanting a newer car, etc. But these things are just wants, not needs. This reading has really made me think about and feel ashamed of how wasteful I can be. It is so easy to get caught up in wanting more, more, more. More money to buy more stuff. Then I compare my stuff to other people's stuff and then I want different, newer stuff. It 's a vicious cycle. I am trying to remember to stop and be thankful for all that I have been blessed with.

Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The rubber and diamond industry in the Congo generating so much money with none of it going back to the people is just like what happened in Iraq with all of the oil. Billions of dollars made on oil and none it to help the citizens of Iraq.

Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]