View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Congo people 
All-star
All-star

The Congo people seem to be the leavers. They live off the land. They eat whatever is available. They don't destroy the land around them. Then in comes Rev. Price. He basically tells them that they are stupid. They don't know how good they can have it. The Congo people seem to be happy and enjoy their life. They accept each other just the way they are-scars, phsycail deformities and all. I can't imagine living the way they do, but that doesn't mean that I need to force them to live my way. Rev. Price wants it his way or no way. He can't see how negative he his. He is definitely a taker!!!

DANA

Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:12 pm
All-star
All-star

He is the true meaning of ignorance... I can't even seem to be that mad at him most of the time because he knows nothing. I am frustrated with him many times while reading, but not mad. He just needs to be forced to learn about TRUTH (little t or big t, whatever...).

Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:47 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

It is very easy to see how Poisonwood relates to Ishmael. You definitely know who the takers and leavers are. At times in the book, you would think they were written by the same author because they have exactly the same theme. I'm sorry to say that as the book goes on, everyone's situation just gets worse and you learn more about how Africa was devastated by "takers". It kind of makes me ashamed of the life I live. I should read books like this more often so I won't be so apt to complain!!!

Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:46 pm

I don't know if the Congolesians are happy or just don't know any other life. I cant imagine a group of people being content with nothing living in squalor. As for our friend Nathan, he was the king of takers and hopefully by the end of the book he will pay his dues.

Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:48 am
All-star
All-star

it is interesting that nathan price refused the training that the church offered his family before leaving the states. large gaps of useful information are abandoned and the family certainly pays the price for this ignorance.
i find the most disturbing thing to be the superiority attitude of the prices about their values and life style.i mean ALL THE PRICES. they make assumptions that because the congolese people don't have specific material goods that their life style is vastly different and inferior to theirs.
the prices were miserable before they left georgia and africa merely serves as the backdrop for the unfolding of their peculiar insanity. the lack of inter-familial communication is astounding. rachel is an absolute horror. leah and adah are alive within their own spheres and ruth may is , perhaps due to her age, the freest from the misery. the mother is an equal abomination for her lack of skills and interaction with her children. she perpetuates the isolation and ignorance of her family as much as and maybe more than the ass hole father. she knows and yet takes no action.

as the book evolves though, the story , to me , becomes less and less about these individuals and more and more about more global, universal issues.

i love this book.

Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]