View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

Did the Price family live among poor people?
yes 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
no 85%  85%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 13

All-star
All-star

Post 700
I just wanted to be number 700. (post number)

Good class tonight.

I think what Leah means when she says the country is not poor but the people are... is that their resources are stolen out from under them. Am I wrong?

Do they feel poor? Maybe not. Still, it is an economic issue.

Let's make number 700 a poll question...

Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I think that you are right Amanda....I think that Leah was saying that their resources are being stolen out from under them and that the word poor has a double meaning...that they are poor financially and that they are poor in their lack of knowledge to stop this problem. I may be way off target here, but that thought has enterd my tiny little brain.

Randy

Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I think you can be poor and rich all at the same time. It depends on what you and/or society values.

Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:59 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you, Kristi. Like Regina was saying last night, when you are growing up, you have no sense of being poor--it's just the way things are in your family. We were living on a shoestring when I was little, but I was oblivious to it. It didn't bother me that my mom made all my clothes, as a matter of fact, I thought it was pretty neat. If we didn't quite have enough food to totally fill you up, we still had food so that you weren't starving. I felt then (and still do now) that I was blessed to be in the family that I was. (Sorry, I got carried away!) :oops:

Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:27 am
All-star
All-star

i think this conversation goes back to one we had at the very beginning of this class. when my ex-husband was in graduate school we had nothing and lived in the student ghetto yet i never thought of myself as poor because of my mental, psychological and spiritual gifts. to me poverty is a state of deprivation. that can be physical like in east st. louis, spiritual as in people with no value system that binds them to the goodness of life (nathan price), or a percevied poverty that many rich people have despite their material wealth.

africa has been raped no doubt but i do not think the people of the congo, nor the people i met in kenya were living in proverty.

when i was a teenager i worked in the ghetto of atlanta with my family priest who had given up the good middle class life to go do some real work. many of the children i worked with then did live in poverty because they had no vision out, no balance of soul to say despite all the material things i lack i am whole. that lack of hope and faith seems to me, to be the key.

Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I tend to think of them as not a poor people. They were rich in spirit, rich in family values, rich in friends and community, and rich in the food that was provided for them. They didn't feel that they needed any thing else. They were a strong group of people and worked together in their community to take care of each other. I wish that all places in the U.S. had as strong of a community as the Congo people.

DANA

Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think the Congolese people thought they were poor. As Dana said, they were a strong group of people who took care of each other and worked together. Whenever they had plenty of something they shared it with the fyata.

Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think the Congolese people were poor. They had what they needed and as Cindy said, when they had more they would share with others in their village.

Kim

Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm so gald that we're all pretty much on the same page with this. As teachers it's so important for us not to look down on our kids as 'these poor unfortunate creatures'. Sure there ARE some extreme cases, but most of our kids don't know, and won't know, the extent of their circumstances until they are much older. We too are rich in that we have the opportunity to instill in our students that their riches lie withinin [i]them [/i].

Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:53 am
All-star
All-star

Kim, I agree with your statement. They do not think of themselves as poor and I really think they think of the Price's as poor, because they have not chosen to adapt to help themselves in some cases. Some of the villagers were sneaking to help them out, by putting eggs in the hen house. I suppose that the perception of "poor" is from whose perspective.

Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:28 pm
All-star
All-star

How do we define poor? I don't feel as though I am poor and yet if Madonna would meet me she may think I am poor. Poor is relative to your surroundings and what you are accustomed to. I,like the rest of our class, am fortunate enough to have alll my basic needs met and then some. I don't feel that the people of the Congo knew what it meant to be poor. They were much like the leavers, they took only what they needed to survive and lived. The malnutrition and unsanitary conditions in which they lived were normal to them. They found ways to avoid getting sick and protecting themselves the best they could.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:54 pm
All-star
All-star

Sherrie- I agree with you. What is poor? I think, like you said, it's all relative. Do I think that the people of the Congo were poor? In some ways yes. Do I think they thought so? No.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm like some of the others, in that it depends on how you define poor and who is doing the defining. I voted no that I did not think that the Price family lived among poor people just because I think most of the Congonese did not consider themselves poor. They were able to find food all over the place. They even had a market to go and get more if they needed it. The Price family did consider them poor, I think, except for one part where one of the girls was talking and said something about we think they're poor for this this and this, but they probably think we're the ones who are poor. I think she said what I am trying to say. That coming from the US, yes they seem poor, but to the Congonese the Price family seem poor because they are unable to adapt to the Congo life in all aspects.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:03 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that poor is a relative term. My daughter went to Dudley Shoals Elementary and wanted to wear blue jeans and T-shirts to school. She never mentioned name brands. My son went to Granite Falls Elementary and told me he couldn't wear anything that had a hole or looked old or people would think he was poor. He knew all the namebrands and would give me a hard time. He felt poor at that school. I never wanted my children to go to Hickory High because I knew they would feel poor seeing the cars and clothes of the wealthy families there.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Cathy is so correct about the difference in the two schools. My son went to both schools and I noticed a big difference. The amazing thing is that the two schools are within 10 miles of each other.

I love our little country school because the kids get to be kids and don't have to worry as much about their clothing.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

The people of the village had know need to live driven by the standards our society as set, but lived by the the natural function of nature itself.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]