View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Other People's Children 
All-star
All-star

I am about halfway through the book and I think Delpit makes a lot of good points and I can see examples from my own experiences in teaching. I loved the part about African American students not responding to directives like, "Would you like to sit down and read a story now?" because their parents would say something like "Boy, sit your butt down and read." I worked at a school that was surrounded by two housing projects but also had the rich kids from town too. The way they talk to their children is as differents as night and day. Now I work in a school that has a lot of poor white and hispanic children. I think that the things Delpit is talking about apply to poor children in general and not necessarily just those of a different race. I think class systems could be considered their own culture as well. Let's face it, I would be just as lost if I spent the week with Madonna as I would if I spent the week in :lol: a Native Alaskan village.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I'll never forget the time I was serving on the SSMT committee. A student had been referred for possible testing and the committee was looking through his cum folder. On the home language survey on the question that asked what language was generally used at home, the mom had written - Sit down, shut up, go watch tv, and other things that she might say to her child at home - instead of naming the language they spoke. Perhaps this question should have been phrased differently.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:51 pm
All-star
All-star

The part about African American students not responding to directives struck me also. I can't say I have changed the way I speak to my students after reading this but I am more aware of how my students respond to requests. It's almost like my own personal experiment. I am curious to see how all children respond. :)

Last edited by kristi wietzke childers on Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that any child could have problems understanding directives given. I find myself overexplaining things with my children. When reading stories, I feel that we sometimes overanalyze them. I just want to make sure that the students understand. When I model and give directions for an assignment, I ask, "Does everyone understand? Is there anything that doesn't make sense to you?" I also allow the children to give the directions back to me. I just like to make sure we are all on the same page. All kids will do fine if we just make sure to take the time and talk and listen to them. My children certainly don't have any trouble explaining themselves. They are even quick to tell me when I have made a mistake.
DANA

Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I do feel that a child's home environment is quite visible in the classroom
everyday. The way kids respond to other children and teachers lets us know quickly the teaching approaches used by their parents. I feel that
RESPECT for others is a crucial element to teach children everyday. We
should not allow those precious children to be spoken to in a disrespectful
negative tone nor should we allow children to respond to others in a disrespectful manner. As teachers. our job doesn't stop after teaching a daily lesson. We are there to support our children as a parent should,
and be the BEST ROLE MODEL they have ever seen.

Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:30 pm
All-star
All-star

Danielle, I agree. I usually find myself making sure that the question is understood, and then over analyze. Delpit's article made me think of how I ask questions and is there a better way.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]