View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Language Diversity-Other People's Children 
All-star
All-star

I was impressed with Delpit's teaching strategy in regard to dialect-related
miscues. She pointed out how reading teachers often correct a student's dialect errors rather than focusing on the comprehension of the reading passage. The constant corrections can block a student's understanding and cause children to be less fleunt readers. As a Title I teacher, I am much more conscious NOW of how I help students become successful readers rather than the way they pronounce the words.

Colette

Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:30 am
All-star
All-star

Reading this book made me think about a child I have this year in kindergarten. She mispronounces lots of words. Ex. Instead of computer, she says "imputer". I can't think of anymore examples right now. Should I be concerned? I spoke with the speech teacher and she talked with the child. She told me that the more I had her repeat the correct way to say it, the better things would get. So, here we are at the end of the year, and she still says "imputer". What do I do? Any suggestions?

DANA

Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:03 pm
All-star
All-star

Dana, don't feel bad, half of my class calls the computer, "puter". Even my 2 year old says computer better than most of them. I also have a child who constantly uses her in place of she (ex. Her came to my house.) I repeat what she says using the correct pronoun only to model for her, but I don't hound her about it. She is one of those students you pick your battles with. Unfortunately, many of our students pick up poor grammar at home and it is much more difficult to unlearn something than it is to learn it. Hope that made sense. I worry because more often than not students will write the way they talk and at some point correct grammar needs to become natural. Fair or not, peole judge you based on your grammar and vocabulary. It is very easy to become slack and use improper grammar thus giving others the impression you are ignorant. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we should judge others based on their grammar, but it does happen. I try my best to be a good model, but like I said you have to pick your battles.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:54 pm
All-star
All-star

One of my students was telling me about the show Fear Factor at lunch today. He was really grossed out because the contestants had to eat horse testiments.
Another student I have can not get it in his head that the calendars we send home each night are called trackers, not tractors.

I have a student named Cole. One of the other boys in our class always calls him Cold. That drives me crazy!

One of my students has called me Mrs. Napkins instead of Atkins all year. I just gave up on correcting him.

Today when the kids were working on some Earth Day activities, one of the kids just felt like she had to share that she thought the crayon she was using - which was actually named asparagus, looked just like the color of "goat poop."

Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Dana, I think you should continue to model the right form of the word computer, or other words for that matter. At the kindergarten age it may be OK to say words incorrectly, some may even think it's cute. However, as children get older it isn't looked at as OK or cute anymore. I have a number of white students that say nakin for napkin. It drives me crazy! They are in third grade and by now should know how to say the word. I don't think students will learn the right words unless they are taught by someone.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]