View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Title I reading 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am currently a first grade teacher and have been for three years. I was a K teacher before that and so I do not have much experience with older students. I have been offered a Title I reading position in a middle school and am seriously considering it but am very nervous about the change and jumping into unfamiliar territory. I feel confident that since I am in the reading program and have been taught about the kinds of difficulties the students might face, I will be able to handle the position. I would like some feedback from anyone who has been in my position, (changing from regular classroom to Title I) or anyone else who has some advice for me.
Thanks, Eron Stowe

Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:53 am
All-star
All-star

Wow I'm glad you should ask! I was a 7th grade teacher for several years and I decided to make a career move this year. I am currently a Title I reading teacher at an Elementary School. I really have enjoyed it thus far but it has been an adjustment. I speak with other Title I teachers
continuously to get feedback on the best way to remediate specific reading
concerns that I have in my classroom. I feel that this approach has been most helpful in helping me create the best readers I possibly can. I am very thankful for the wonderful staff we have in Burke County. They are all willing to help each other! !I also feel that Dr. Shlegal's class has helped me understand assessment tools that can assist me in the remediation process. If you decide to make the career move, please feel free to call me anytime.

Colette

Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:48 am
All-star
All-star

Wowl, Eron! I think you should go for it. My goal is to eventually be a Title 1 teacher, but those postions seem difficult to get since no one wants to give them up. Would you be pulling out small groups of students to work with them? If so, I definitely think you should take the position.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I think you would love doing being a Title I reading teacher. You would have the opportunity to work with a variety of students with various needs and not have the extra responsibilities that a regualr classroom teacher has to deal with. Do you have any children or are you planning on having any children? A Title I position would give you more time for your children. They grow so fast and it is so easy to miss things. Congratulations and I know you'll make the right decision.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm envious!! I would jump on it in a heartbeat!! Do ya need an assistant? We would be great team teachers!!

DANA :lol: :lol:

Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm sorry Dana, but the team teacher position has already been filled! :lol:

Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm with Dana. I would JUMP at the chance in a heartbeat! Eron, I think you would be a fantastic Title I teacher. I'm a thrid year 5th grade teacher and I love it! I think you'll work well with the older kids. I don't really have any advise, but I know that what we've learned/practiced in the program so far has helped me teach reading. I sure with a small group and a supportive team you'll wonder why you ever doubted the move!

:D Congrats & Good Luck!

Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:30 am
All-star
All-star

Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:01 am
All-star
All-star

I think if you are looking for a change you should go for it! I know a 2nd grade teacher that was considering a move to the high school to teach ESL. She made the move and has not looked back since! I know that is HS VS. middle school and ESL VS. Title I but it is still the same idea. Besides I think working with older children would be great and you would be great! Go for it!! :D

Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]