View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What about Religion? 
All-star
All-star

I attended the 24th Annual Child and Family Development Conference at UNC Charlotte a couple of weeks ago and attended two concurrent workshops, one "Racial and Cultural Identity Development in Children" with Lyndon Abrams, Ph.D and "Religious Diversity" with Professor Connie Green of App. State. In working with teen parents both male and female of different cultures, I find myself becoming more sensitive to the differences in child care practices, customs and now religious beliefs. Yes, I would love for everybody to believe as I do, but that is not always going to happen. As an educator I find a need to study or a least be sensitive to our growing and increasing population of diverse students' beliefs, customs, dietary restrictions and religous practices, etc. Possible conflicts between students' and school can possibly be minimized when we are sensitive to religious practices as we explore multi-culturalism.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:50 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Phyllis. Religion can be a big factor in the classroom and parent relationship. I had a student a few years ago that was Jehovis Witness. As holidays approached I had to be careful with what we did in the classroom. I had to differentiate his assignments so he could participate and not feel left out.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:23 pm
All-star
All-star

We certainly have lots of things that we have to be aware of. It's a shame that there are teachers who could care less whether they are disrespectful to students and their families. It gives the rest of us a bad name. I am so tired of teachers being in the news for the terrible things they have done. They need to be positive and tell stories of the teachers who buy clothing for their students. The teacher who spends her afternoons tutoring children. The teacher who gives hugs to those children who receive no love or kindness. THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO SEE ON THE NEWS!! Show the world that we do care and that we are doing our best each and every day to make sure that their children are prepared for the world in all capacities.

DANA :D

Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Dana. It seems that the news reports mostly negative things, not very many positive things. There are many teachers who do wonderful things for students and families. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It would be nice if the news would show positive, caring things that teachers do.

Cindy

Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think Phyllis has touched on something important. Each of the responses are right in that teachers do have to be so aware of things that go on around us in and out of the classroom. In the community that I work in there really isn't the diversity that I know other school systems have. I would find Phyllis' job as well as those of you who do encounter the diverse beliefs to be even more difficult than what we face each day on a normal basis. The book Other People's Children really did open my eyes to the different learning styles of not only children, which we have been taught all along, but also among various cultures.

Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:01 pm
All-star
All-star

Great point, Phyllis. And you're right - educators get little if any information on the beliefs and practices of other cultures/religions. It still amazes me how much time, energy, and money is spent on workshop after workshop on reading, testing, etc. As a teacher I would like to see less time spent on these type of inservices and more emphasis placed on the need to be aware of the diverse beliefs, customs, dietary restrictions and religous practices you spoke of.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]