View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Delpit- "Say What?" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ok, I understand about using ones own dialect to teach. But, what does the stranger walking down the hall think when he hears me saying "Sit down now!" in an authoritarian tone to one group of children, and politley asking another group "Do you think it's time to take your seats now?" How do you do both with out seeming to favor one group or another?????

Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:46 am

dawn that's why i like to be consistant. sit your butts down!!! kidding. I do talk to different children in different ways. some children all you have to do is look at them-(regardless of what Harry Wong says-First Days of School). Each child responds to different cues, some more direct than others. see ya

Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:31 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree Jean, if "Don't you think it's time to sit down" doesn't work then you phrase it another way. I just think you have to approach children the same way in the beginning--from there it is pretty easy to find out what will and will not work for each child and then you adjust.

Kim

Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that you have to be consistent. Kids notice if you treat others in different ways. Don't you hear all the time-"Well you let him do it!" Yes, kids do respond to different cues. Teaching is hard. This class has made me become more aware of how difficult this job is. No wonder we are so tired!!

DANA

Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Amen, Dana. Tired?? More like physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted!

:roll: Speaking of Harry Wong (Jean) I find myself doing a lot of things REGUARDLESS of what he/the book says.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]