View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What to do?/Other People's Children 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My thinking is much like the thought that Jean had. I am curious to know just what to do when speaking to various students of different cultures? Is the author saying that we should be more direct toward students of color and ask the others politely to do the same things? And if we are more direct with those students are we then readying them for work in the factories, as Dr. Turner explained? How do we juggle all of that just to tell a student to "Have a seat." I agree with those of you who said that you get to know your students and how you have to talk to them. Is that basically all the author was saying? Just be more aware of your students and their culture? Or is she saying that we do need to speak to each child differently?

Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:10 pm
All-star
All-star

Hey, Eron. I may be wrong but I thought she was saying that you should treat children differently based on their culture. I don't agree. I think we should should look at children- reguardless of their culture - as individuals and treat them accordingly. I don't know. That's just what i think...

Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally agree with you Regina. Each child is an individual. Two children growing up in the same family are still individuals and may have different needs. Looking at cultures too much will stereotype them. Teach to the child and show respect for families. This crosses all cultures.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]