View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Binet 
All-star
All-star

help. i cannot find any direct information in the BIG TEST about binet's objections to the use/misuse of intelligence tests. can anybody help? thanks! airlie

Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:19 am

airlie i think he wanted the test to identify struggling learners and DID NOT want the test to be used to find the "cream" or to track/label students to level them. Hope it helps and i just can't fit the Price family into the neat package of pragmatist, realist, or relativist. Can you help and let me know how you are attacking that question. I know we are only addressing how they handled the conflict of cultures but .......

Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:09 pm
All-star
All-star

1) nathan was a realist because he felt he had access to the Truth ( note the capital T) and it was the one and only real answer.
2) Orleanna was a relativist because she was so passive. everything was the same and nothing had precedence over another idea. she just sort of flowed along with whatever current was running by at the time.
3) ruth may was also a relativist but, slightly different from her mother because she was a child who molded herself to whatever situation she was in and was the first one comfortable in africa.
4) rachel was a relativist because she took in or took advantage of whatever was around her and had no particular opinion about one idea or notion being more true or greater than another.
5) adah was a pragmatist becasue she thought about, discusssed and mulled over every idea that was presented to her.
6) leah was a relativist at first because she was like her dad and then she evolved into a pragmatist after her experiences in africa.
hope this helps. good luck!

Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:36 pm
All-star
All-star

Airlie, I got on the internet and typed in Binet and misuses of the IQ test and it was easy to find. Easier than rereading the book.

Also, wasn't Leah a realist like her dad at first, not a relativist? She thought that her dad did have the Truth. Then she became a pragmatist.

Good luck to everyone. The essay questions are stressing me out because I could write a thesis on them. I don't know what is the most important thing to say.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

dear kathy, thanks you for the correction. i am about brain dead. the essay questions are driving me nuts! revise, edit, cut, revise. good luck and thanks! airlie

Thu May 01, 2003 11:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]