View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 BIG Test Ben Wood 
All-star
All-star

Some of Ben Wood's thoughts about education / educators on pages 35 and 36 caught my attention. p36
American education was illogical and disorganized. There was no real system to prepare students for college. Colleges were run for the benefit of the professors. Most students who entered college didn't graduate. Of the students who did finish, the very worst went on to become teachers. I had a lot of thoughts running through my head as I read this. Cindy

Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"disorganized and illogical" on certain days I can agree with that. But what really ruffled my tail feathers, was his last statement- "only the worse went on to become teachers". :evil:

Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I TOTALLY agree with you, Tink! That statement made me completely stop for a minute and reread to make sure that I had read it right! I was fuming when I realized that Ben Wood did indeed say what he did about teaching and teachers.

Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:12 am
All-star
All-star

Now we know where that saying, "those who can do, those who can't teach", comes from. However, it only takes one uncaring, unprepared teacher to give us all a bad name. :(

Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:34 am
All-star
All-star

:oops: I too had to stop and re-read the sentence "only the worst went on to become teachers." In fact I had to read it at least three times because I wasn't sure I had read it right either. Just goes to show how he viewed education.

Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I am still bothered by the part , the very worst went on to become teachers. What does the part in parenthesis mean? ( Despite the fulfillment of Wood's fondest dreams about the institution of mass testing, all of this is still true.) Is this coming from Lemann? Does Leman think only the very worst college graduates become teachers? I've had teachers who were in honor societies and made good grades, but they were not very good with children. I've also had teachers who were average in school, but GREAT in the classroom.
Cindy

Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:28 am
All-star
All-star

You're right, Cindy. I personally think teaching is a calling. Either you're good at it or you're not. Either you're a natural teacher or you're not. There's no middle ground. Due to the unfortunate presence of the Nots, we'll never be a widely respected or appreciated profession. But you know what? I don't care. I have 20 people (and yes, as small as they are they're people too!) who respect and appreciate me on a daily basis. I don't need some stuff shirts stamp of approval.

Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I know this is off topic but I had to respond to your comment about your students being people too. You are so right! Unfortunatly I think some people forget that. It angers me when students are not given the respect they deserve. So often I see teacher expect them to use manners towards teachers but they do not do the same towards the student. One lesson I teach my class from day one is not to slam the door in someone's face, but to hold it for those behind you. I also teach them to say "thank you" as they walk through the door being held for them. I actually had another teacher ask me what they were doing and roll her eyes while watching them walk through the door!

Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:05 pm
All-star
All-star

:shock: UGH! See what I mean about the Nots? Some of the most valuable lessons we teach are common courtsey and respect. There's something seroiusly wrong when a teacher no longer thinks these are important lessons.

Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:21 pm
All-star
All-star

KRISTI,

WOW. I have my students hold the door for the next person in line and say "thank you" to that person in front of them. Some classes have "door holders". I don't, because when they are entering a building (in public; in life) they should hold the door for the person behind them. It isn't real life for one person to hold the door for 25 people... ANYWAY, it sounds small but it is important to me to teach them how to do common mannerly things. I also don't allow them to crowd the person in front of them....you know how at the grocery store you don't want someone standing on your heels? That is why. It is funny how our philosophies affect small routines in our classroom. I've never thought too much about it.

AND you mention the teachers rolling their eyes. I get that all the time. I just smile and say, "Aren't they sweet little children?" and walk away. :D

Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]