View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Big Test 
All-star
All-star

I was very upset by the thinking of the men in this book. There was so much inequality. Women weren't even thought of as important. They weren't even given the chance to try to enter into college. Then, to read about the Army testing. If you had a high score you stayed home, went to college- these were the only ones smart enough to run the country. All the low score individuals were sent off to fight for our country. Did this people have any choices? :(

Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with your comment about the thinking of men in this book. Just further proof that it's a "man's world. "

Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:35 am
All-star
All-star

I don't know why Chauncey was so in favor of deferment for only the top scoring college boys. If I am understanding correctly what I read, the only reason he was able to go to Groton was by "cobbling together subventions from relatives." Then in order to go to Harvard, Clarence Dillon made up the difference between what the Chaunceys could pay and what it would cost to send him to Harvard. Without the financial help he received he wouldn't have gone to college himself. All he was interested in was testing. It didn't matter what was being tested or the reason for the test. He just liked tests and he thought that tests could solve all the problems in the world. I thought it was interesting that he gave members of his family tests and thought about coming up with a test to determine compatibility in marriage when he and his wife were having trouble. I wonder what it was that Laurie (his second wife) liked about him. He sounds very boring! He couldn't even sit through a movie.

Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:45 pm
All-star
All-star

After reading this, I began to imagine if there were more men or women that create our state EOG tests. This book really made me angry with the way they viewed testing. Just because you made a low score you were considered army material. Those poor men didn't seem to stand a chance if they didn't have a great education to begin with; they wouldn't stand a chance to score well on military tests. Like you said Jane Lee "It's a man's world."

Kim

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:52 am
All-star
All-star

I agree, he certainly left out segments of society.

Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

With the way the world is now, I would like to think we have our best and brightest in the military to help keep us safe. It also made me think of the men and women in World War II -- all the heroes that generation produced--thank goodness there wasn't a test then like during the Korean war.

Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:01 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Erica. With the way the world is now, I hope we continue to keep the best and brightest people, who want to serve our country, in the military.

Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]