View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 2nd part of "The Big Test" 
All-star
All-star

I am finding out just how naive I am! I think I have been in my own little cocoon of a world WAY too long. There are things coming out in this book that I had no idea that were happening. I am ashamed of how socially unconcious I have been, and how much I have just accepted things, because "someone" has said that's the way it's supposed to be. :oops:

Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:00 am
All-star
All-star

Kathy, you're not the only one who is finding out much more than she knew about the ideas of testing. I never really thought about "how" the big tests came about. I just accepted that the tests were there and that I had to do them to go on to the next level.
Both books we have read for Dr. Turner have really opened my eyes!! :shock: [/i]

Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:25 am
All-star
All-star

Kathy, I thought I was the only person who felt as if they have been in the dark for years. It was amazing to see how misleading the "Master Plan " turned out to be from reading. In addition, It was an eye opener to
see how Coleman thought that the negro populations achievement scores
were low due the childrens home environment. As a classroom teacher,
I know that a poor school environment contributes highly to the achievement of children. Children need a rich learning environment to
be successful AND a loving and nurturing home environment.

Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:49 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel the same. I have always just accepted that that was the way things were. I never gave much thought to why or how testing came about. It was a definite eye opener. It also showed how a group of people can decide the fate of all. Don't you think that if we (teachers) got together and worked really hard that we could change testing for our children? It sure wouldn't be easy. I don't know. It does make you think. :shock:

Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:17 am
All-star
All-star

This book has been a real eye-opener. I am also from the same thought " this is the test you need to give and you do it". I don't think it is right that the test can hold the fate of so many students. We can only hope that a wise group of teachers can develop a test that we know will meet the needs of our students in a less stressful manner.

Kim

Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]