View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The School and Social Progress 
All-star
All-star

Reading this, which was presented in 1899, I could stop thinking that some of the issues are ones we have today. In the first paragraph on the second page, Dewey talks about the industrial changes taking place. This reminded me of the Internet. Although the Internet is not as new anymore, it is still continuing to open doors and change communication and education.

In the second and third paragraphs there is discusison of how "life and education is changing as we know it." This argument has not change since then. It seems to always be the argument of each new generation. I suspect we will continue to hear this with each rising generation as time goes on.

Last edited by kristi wietzke childers on Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:17 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, change is inevitiable! It seems almost yesterday that I can remember doing research in college using a reliable source called the Encyclopedia. Children today can use the internet to research any topic and type their responses on Microsoft Works. I strongly agree with Dewey that we need to bring back the necessities of community life as families and school role models! Teachers need to incorporate more life skills that involve mutual cooperation between its members rather than daily lessons to reach our EOG objective! Children can work together combining ideas and suggestions with the aid of our wonderful technological tools!

Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You know, in reading this article, I too could see how things of today also relate to what Dewey was speaking on during that time. I also kept thinking, is that what happened to our families? Yes, we do need to teach community and how to "live" as far as what roles the children play in their homes and in society, but is that where we went wrong? What I mean is, during that time period and even when our parents were young divorce wasn't heard of as much as today. I kept thinking that perhaps when we took the responsibility off of the parents and placed it on the teachers to teach children what their role is, that it did more damage in the long run than good? Just a thought! :?

Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]