View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dewey's School and Social Progress - Mutual Assistance 
All-star
All-star

In Dewey's article on School and Social Progress, I thought it was interesting when he wrote, "Where the school work consists in simply learning lessons, mutual assistance, instead of being the most natural form of cooperation and association, becomes a clandestine effort to relieve one's neighbor of his proper duties." I find it really difficult to help my first grade students understand when it is appropriate to help their classmates, and when it isn't. We do a lot of cooperative learning, so when I give the students a quiz of assessment, they naturally want to help each other. I don't want them to get the impression that helping others is a bad thing, but I try to let them know that in these situations I am trying to see what they have learned, so they should give their own answers instead of working together. I see how much my students enjoy helping each other and sometimes they are able to explain things to each other better than I can. I really enjoy watching the students work together and explain things to each other. As Dewey wrote, "Helping others, instead of being a form of charity which impoverishes the recipient, is simply an aid in setting free the powers and furthering the impulse of the one helped."

Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree! I liked when Dewey mentioned the importance of observation,
constructive imaginations of thought and a sense of reality acquired through first-hand contact. When children and adults are actively involved
with others they develop all of these qualities that help them become
more equipt to deal with society.

Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:13 pm
All-star
All-star

Melissa, I agree that there are times children can explain things better than we can. Sometimes many children have the same question about a question or problem on their work. When this happens I'll explain it to a few and then let them explain it to the others. I know if they can explain it to another student they are more likely to understand it themselves. They love being the "teacher" and I like to hear what they have to say to each other.

Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]