View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 right vs righteous 

I thought about Reverend Price being righteous in his mission work in the Congo, yet he was not right in the way he went about it.

I thought about how that might apply to me as a teacher. I teach a diversity of students in middle school. There are several different cultures represented, white, african-american, and hispanic. I teach with a vision to educate all these different children. I truly want them to succeed and achieve. I tell myself that they need to learn in order to be successful in our society, or culture. I may be righteous in my vision, like Reverend Price wanting to save the souls of the Congolese. Reverend Price was wrong in the way he went about his vision. I could be wrong in the way I impart the school's vision. If I am not aware of the cultural differences of my students, then I will not be able to succeed in my mission.
I have to know the right way to reach students from different cultures.
Lisa Delpit showed us how African American children need different instructional styles for them to achieve.
It is not enough to just be righteous. I need to find the right method to teach children from different cultures.

Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]