View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 bobbi's thoughts... 
All-star
All-star

Starting a new school year is always so exciting, isn't it? I guess when we look forward to that with dread and trepidition, we know it's time to find a new career. So, on a personal level, I am starting a new job at an alternative school, as most of you have heard me talk about at some point. It is going to be a real challenge in many ways, but I really hope that I can make a difference. Naive? Maybe...

EOCs....it bugs me to hear teachers say they can't teach creatively and engagingly because of EOC pressures. The test tests our standard course of study and yes it's presented in a multiple choice format, but to get our students to test day, we do not have to teach via this method every single day, stressing and over stressing this test and losing sight of our real purpose.....
:P :P :P
Well, I guess I'm done for now. Any library creating ideas? Right now, the middle school teacher at the alternative school has created a sort of AR library with some books she was able to get.....but it is literally only 3 or 4 bookcases large.....so it's not totally nonexistent--just in normal terms of what we think of when we think library or media center....

Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:37 pm
All-star
All-star

My friend, Justin, works extensively on programs throughout Catawba, Burke, Caldwell, and Alexander counties, trying to reach out to adult youth (18-24). He has a particular interest in getting schools (middle, high) involved in helping this age group. He may have some contacts to help get a library at your school. He has concerns about the alternative (getting them support to keep the kids in school!), so he may have some ideas. I'll get back to you.
Lisa

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:00 pm
All-star
All-star

THANKS!

Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:02 pm
All-star
All-star

Justin emailed me a "plan of attack" to school on Friday. I will email it to you rather than send it through here. He is a very diplomatic kind of individual, so he tried to plan it for you the way that he'd do it if he wanted programs to be launched with state funds. I hope that it helps!

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]