View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Savage Inequalities 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel so fortunate and blessed to teach at school that provides students with a safe environment that promotes learning. While reading the book, I was shocked at the conditions the students and teachers faced on a daily basis. I didn't think situations like that still occured in America. I wonder if the schools Kozol visited in the early 90's are still in existence today?

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I, too, noticed that Kozol visited these schools in the early 90's and wondered if the situations in these schools have improved in the last 15-16 years. I would like to see a sequel book written by Kozol in which he writes about visits to these very same schools and gives us an update on conditions in each one. I have found it very hard to believe that schools in this much disrepair, lack of materials and resources, and funding could last in "modern day" America.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As I read the article, Still Separate, Still Unequal Kozol referenced some of the same schools again but it didn't mention any updates. I would also like to know the outcomes of the schools in 2006.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that it is heartbreaking to have school conditions as mentioned in the book. However, what saddens me more is that the community, leaders, and school officials did not have the power to change the situation. Parents did not have the knowledge and status to put up a fight and say, "This is not acceptable for my child or this community." Too much time had passed and poverty took over the desire to want more in life. I am very curious to hear about an update.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:32 am
All-star
All-star

I cannot fathom being in the situations described in Kozol's book, as well as his Still Separate, Still Unequal. I'd be pitching a holy fit to make sure that my children were not in situations like these. However, another way to look at it. The parents had parents who had to "settle" for the way things were. While the parents still may not like it, because their educational experiences were likely poor like their children's, they cannot get out of the cycle, so it persists. I just could not imagine wanting to continue in an area like that. And the teachers! I'd refuse to teach in an area where the building was one that should be condemned! I cannot believe that the school board members aren't visiting the schools to see the deplorable conditions of the buildings. Overcrowding is one issue, but what about the allergies, asthma, and quality of life for the kids? We're all in education because of the kids--there is force in numbers. Have the teachers and administrators picketed the school district, the mayor...I just could not tolerate the situation for myself, let alone my students.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also cannot image being in a situation similar to the three schools mentioned in Kozol's book. It seems that people from poverty get "dumped" on over and over again. After a while, it seems they accept things, powerless over making changes. It's like the cycle cannot be broken. I attended a workshop on poverty in Morganton, and was surprised to hear that it takes at least three generations for a person to change things and break the bonds of poverty. It is a very hard thing to do and can only be accomplished if specific things happen. Sorry, I can't remember what those things are.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will never complain about not having a window again. I was floored by the descriptions of the classrooms in this book. It enrages me to think that there are so many children out there who can't even use the restroom at school because the toilets are not working or toilet paper is low. I often take for granted the things I have and complain about the things I don't have. Every year I complain about not having a window in my classroom and joke to my principal that I want a skylight. I guess I should count my lucky stars that my classroom has walls and doesn't leak.

I too would like an update on these school conditions. I visited Chicago this summer. On one of the tours I went on the tour guide pointed out the low income housing projects and told us that it was very unsafe. I wish I would have paid more attention while we were there. I just brushed it off at the time. I didn't even wonder what the school conditions were like for these children. I guess I've been sheltered from the sad realities of life for so long that it didn't even dawn on me that school could not be a safe and nice place for these children.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]