View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Race and Incarceration in the US 
All-star
All-star

As I was reading the article "Race and Incarceration in the US," I couldn't help but wonder what was causing the magnitude of minority incarcerations. Out of the total population of incarcerated adults in our country, 63% are black or Latino. This article states that it does not analyze the reason that minorities are incarcerated at such a greater percentage rate than whites. I feel like it could be that a larger portion of minorities come from areas of poverty and schools/districts that are not funded well and do not offer as many resources for education as some wealthier schools and districts can offer, therefore many minorities have a lower quality of education. I also, wonder if it could be something that has been passed down through families of some minorities, at least in some cases. A father lived a life of crime, or drug abuse and this was passed to a son, possibly...maybe family background.

I would like to hear some of your responses as to why you think the incareration percentage rate is greater for some minority groups.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Poverty is the root of many evils I am afraid. Some people have to do what they must out of desperation and survival. This may include drugs, stealing, and violence. I remember a year ago in New Orleans when the fear of survival caused people to do many things that they may not normally do. Right or wrong is not an issue when your physical needs have not been met appropriately.

Also, I feel that the break down of the family has been a source of rebellion for many. The father figure missing in a relationship causes (boys especially) to look at role models that are not heading in the right direction. The lifestyle that the role models have leave an impression that is very influential to young minority males.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you both. There seems to be an endless number of issues that are affecting the incarceration rates among minorities. After reading Savage Inequalities and several of the articles, I am beginning to see all the poor conditions and environments that surround certain minorities. I never thought America would allow the schools to open with all the problems. Anna, I agree also with your comment about the breakdown of families. This is certainly causing a problem for kids who are looking for a role model.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:23 am
All-star
All-star

I am teaching a class this semester called "Raps and Rhymes." I have had to do a lot of research and learning myself on the rap end of things--the poetry part is my love! Anyway, this post has a point. I rented the autobiography/documentray on the rapper 50 Cent, and his story was about growing up in the ghetto and how poor he was. His mom sold crack and got shot doing it when he was only 7. He talked about selling crack like it was nothing--like it was an ordinary way to get by. He was dealing from the time he was 10. He got a break with his music, but then he got shot nine times, so his contract was dropped. He went right back to selling crack. In this film, he makes a statement about how he's a hustler, about how he'll do whatever it takes to make money and survive. I feel that he and many others are a product of the very environment we've been discussing. I wished I could remember the exact words that he used though, they really summed up the idea that poverty breeds so many negative things.

Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"Raps and Rhymes" sounds so interesting. Were you the master mind behind the course?

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am a teacher at a low wealth, inner city school. I agree with what Anna said about many childern who come from broken homes missing that father figure. As a second grade teacher last year, we took our students on a community tour. As part of our tour we visited the jail. I was so worried that some of my students would see their fathers, brothers, or maybe uncles that I viewed the inmate list before letting them in. Many of my students do have a mother or father in jail/prison. I often wonder if that will help them overcome their problems and want to better themselves as an adult or will they follow the footsteps of that family member because that is all they have experienced as a child?

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Bobbi, I would like to hear more about your Raps and Rhymes class, it sounds very interesting. 50 Cent is many of my students hero. How sad is that!

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:08 pm
All-star
All-star

Bobbi, I have never heard of 50 cent. I am curious as to the content of your "Rap and Rhythm" course, as well.

Kasey, how interesting it was to read about your second grade field trip to the prison. I have often wondered what effect a field trip such as that would have on primary students. Would you, please, share the response you got from your students when you were back in the classroom after the field trip?

I always have the highest hopes that maybe something I say or some way that I act will influence the character of my students as they grow to become teenagers and adults. I feel as though I really try to influence them in a good way. I am still very concerned that many children who come from a background of crime and/or violence are at a greater risk for becoming criminals or have an abusive nature themselves. I will continue to try to help "shape" their character for what little time I have them.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]