View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Ghosts of Bell Curves Past 
All-star
All-star

Maybe it's because of the society/age in which I've grown up, but I cannot believe that Gobineau actually thought intelligence formed based on the color of a person's skin. I didn't realize how much I side with Binet in the introduction of IQ tests--"a way of identifying children in primary school whose difficulties in normal classrooms suggest[ed] some need for special education." (Remember, I am a special education teacher and use IQ to determine eligibility in my program based upon federal and state laws.) I don't feel that an IQ should be interpreted as the means to the end--Oh, this kid's IQ is 75, so we'll just pass him along. This kid who has 110, let's pour our energies into his learning. I always hold my students, regardless of their IQ, to the same high standards. IQ isn't supposed to change much over time, but if teachers don't believe that ALL kids can learn and hold ALL kids to the high standards, they essentially side with Gobineau. Using IQ as an indication of what a child is capable of and not challenging them goes against an educator's purpose. And if a teacher doesn't feel that all children can learn, regardless of knowing the IQ, they have no business being in education.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:45 pm
All-star
All-star

Lisa, after reading this article, I felt exactly as you do. I was so surprised to find that Gobineau believed that a person's skin could "reveal" his/her IQ score. It is hard to believe that anyone would believe such a thing. I do realize that an IQ score does give a starting point for placing a child in a program or level of instruction. What does bother me about IQ testing is that a child can score one point too high on his/her IQ test and not be placed in a special education program when the child could really benefit from this specialized, small group instruction. I have a child like this in my class this year and have had some in the past, as well. I believe IQ scores are beneficial, but I don't think a child's future should be placed so strongly on them.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:24 pm
All-star
All-star

What blows my mind is that the group administered 3rd grade tests yield one score and the ones the psychologist submits can be vastly different. One of my kids labeled EMD (IQ below 70) scored 17 points higher on her group administered IQ. And the same is true of the others. Some kids score much lower on the group tests than the individuals. It seems like the scores have such a variety with the kids we always work extra hard to educate. So, obviously before we get an IQ score, we teachers know who really needs the help.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it is kind of scary how much emphasis we place on IQ. I agree, with both of you that there is just too much determined by one IQ score or EOG test. I have some students that have extremely high IQs, but do not perform to this level and some with lower level that try so hard. I try to just challenge each student to help them all be prepared for third grade regardless of where they "should" be perfoming.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with all of you. We as educators see the students who need the extra support but are unable to receive the services because of 1 test score. I have struggled to understand the aspects of the IQ testing but I understand there has to be a "cut off" score to receive services.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While reading this article I found myself outraged! I could not agree more Lisa. It's ridiculous to even think someone's intelligience can rest solely on their physical appearance. If that assumption is made then it doesn't matter how anyone performs academically because it must be a fluke if a person of color scores high on a mental test. ONE of my many "favorite" parts of this article was when Gobineau was quoted as saying some people of color may have the same level of intelligience as some of the members of the lowest class in white society and maybe even a few in the middle class. PLEASE, because based on what class you are born into/color of your skin is the greatest predictor of intellectual ability.

I would also like to comment on children being dismissed based on that all important IQ score...I have personally seen this happen. As an educator I find it pathetic that "professionals" in the education field could simply give up on a child and their education because of a number! With the appropriate instruction, positive attitudes, and an effective instructor any child can learn. Now, of course not every child will be on the same level or capable of achieving the same goals, but they can perform to the best of THEIR ability! Isn't that why we do what we do?

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also can't believe that anyone would think skin color determines a persons IQ score. After reading Elizabeth's response I too feel the same way she does about children not being placed into resource because of their IQ score being 1 or 2 points above what is required. I have had many students who have been tested for resource but their scores indicated that they were achieving higher or better than their IQ indicated they should. If they are not on grade level and have learning disabilites should they not qualify for resource? This seems really unfair to me. I know a couple people in our class are resource teachers. Can you help me better understand this?

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm going to be the first to tell you that I personally don't necessarily agree with the way that we test and place students into the EC program--and I'm an EC teacher! There has to be a discrepancy between IQ and achievement (the academic tests administered) in order to qualify. Where we get stuck is with kids whose IQs fall in the "borderline" range--70-79. These are the kids who continually pass onto the next grade without the basic skills--at least that is how it is at my school with this group of kids not placing. It's really hard to tell parents and teachers that their kids are low and working at or above their potential (meaning IQ). Normally their IQ might be 74, for example, and their academic scores show 72, 81, 70. Their is a very slight discrepancy based on the tests. At this point in time, as far as I have been informed, classroom assessments and work samples really aren't taken into account. I feel like I'm the bad guy because I cannot help, the parent and teacher and student are still frustrated, but, at the same time, the IQ factor does help us understand that it's going to take the child a while to get the skills and they will need very frequent repetition of skills in order to achieve and maintain their skills.

Doesn't this sound so well rehearsed? Sadly, it's because it's a broken record I've had to repeat. This is a typical issue that I have to deal with. Truly, I don't understand why I cannot step in to help when there is an obvious need, but, if the test scores don't show that necessary discrepancy, I can't help.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]