View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The thick line 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Lemann describes American society today as having a thick line running through the country with people who have been to college on one side of it and people who haven't on the other, with the line getting brighter all the time. He describes the resentment rather that admiration that follows this trend. As I think about testing, not just the SAT, but also the testing that begins in third grade, I wonder if "No child left behind" is in actuality making this line thicker?

Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too have my doubts about "No Child Left Behind". I would like to hear your take on it and any others that would like to respond. Melanie, I agree I think it is making the line thicker instead of brighter.

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that this thick line with testing is probably hurting some students. I was never good at testing and could not imagine testing at such an early age as students do today. I have to teach little second graders to bubble correctly for the test as well as how to take the test. We did fun things when I was in elementary school and did not take as many tests. Now all the students do is test. Is it really making them do better in society and determine if they should go to college?

Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Well, it made the one guy in California take his own life because he couldn't get CA to buy into ETS. If that was someone who is supposed to be a supporter and in favor of the tests, think what it does to the kids who are required to take the tests. Higher accountability, though it rests heavily on our shoulders, really puts the pressure on the kids.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]