View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 IQ measurement 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One of the classes that I took through the ASU LRE program was Politics of Literacy. In this class I had to determine the definition of the term literacy. On the surface, the definition would seem quite simple...the ability to read or write. However, the definition is much more complex than that. With that said, if IQ tests are a measurement of intelligence, what is intelligence? Is it too, the ability to read or write in the academic world? Or, are all people that can do 100 math problems in two minutes intelligent? Maybe...intelligence is the ability to remember 10 different plays within a football game? I think we are playing a dangerous game when we measure "Intelligence" with a powerful...powerful test such as the IQ test. My daughter has an average/high average IQ. She is a fabulous reader and is very insightful. She is also LD in Math. How would she fall on the intelligence scale? Is she intelligent because she scored well on the IQ test? Is she intelligent because she is a great reader and has read hundreds and hundreds of books? Or...is she not intelligent because she is LD in Math?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:48 pm
All-star
All-star

IQ is multifaceted. If we look at kids who have learning disabilities or who have lower IQs and write them off, we're doing them (us as well as their peers) a disservice. As I said in class last Thursday, I don't care what their IQ is. It helps us to understand why they might get a concept today and not tomorrow and it gives us a starting point. It's entirely too dangerous to look at that score and make rash decisions. We need to look at the entire child, their talents and areas in which they have needs, and come up with plans to challenge them to new heights. The same goes with EOGs. If the child doesn't test well on that one day, it isn't right to say that they didn't learn anything. They may have learned a tremendous amount of information during the year, but it may not have been asked to be demonstrated on the test.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think too, we often use IQ scores to determine if a child needs EC services if they appear to have some type of learning disability. However, IQ scores also lead to AIG services as well. I feel that this can potentially be as damaging. I have seen far too many over aggresive parents proclaim that their child NEEDS AIG services because thy scored well on the IQ test. When the fact of the matter is their work ethic is okay, their study habits are weak, and things come fairly easy for them but they are not ready for the vigor and challenges for this program. So many times...the border liners make it through the cracks and in a year or two they are so stressed out and tired they lose some of their educational excitement. Do not get me wrong though, I feel that the program is great for some. It is challenging and very worth while...if you need it. Moms do not need it though.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:20 pm
All-star
All-star

The IQ discrepancy formula is being phased out with response to intervention (RTI). We still have to do the standard testing, but we don't have to have the 15 point discrepancy anymore. I'm not really sure what the whole deal is quite yet--I just know that we're getting some trickle down from IDEIA and this is one of the new things. I have only tested one child completely this school year and he placed--without the 15 point discrepancy.

With the AIG kids, sometimes the placements are very cut and dry and others sketchy, like you mentioned. We do a "wait and see" on some kids: they are brought up at the end of the year or mid-way through the next school year to see how they have done. If they've grown, we place them. If not, we don't.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]