View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 A Hope In the Unseen 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow! This is an awesome book. Cedric reminds me of some students that we have at my school in Morganton. I've seen students in lower grades try really hard and were actually smart children, but as they grew older, other (bad) influences change them. They began to talk, act, and dress differently. Cedric had his mother to keep him on the straight and narrow, but many of our students have no one. It makes me sad to think of what may happen to our students in the future.

I haven't finished the book yet so. . .I'm not sure if Cedric continues to obey his mother or joins a gang.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed this book as well. A lot of the students in Cedric's high school remind me of students I went to school with. They thought that they were too "cool" to do well. They made fun of the people that tried or did well in school. Now look where some of them are. Some are on drugs or living off of their parents. Cedric was very inspiring!

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you both! I have read this book in another class that I took, and enjoyed it immensely. I think it is a story that gives us hope, as teachers, and helps us realize that we do have some Cedrics that we teach.

Cedric was so motivated to better himself. It was good to see the influence his mother had on him in such a positive way.

I think there is a video about this story. I would enjoy seeing it.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:50 am
All-star
All-star

This is a lesson to us teachers--most of the kids who are "behavior" problems either aren't being challenged or they create a distraction to avoid a task. Cedric acted out on both accounts.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also had to read this book for anotehr class but I enjoyed it so much I read it again. After reading it a second time it made me really think that many of my former students in the early years they tried and studied really hard but then slacked off because it wasn't cool or they were just following in the footsteps of their brothers, sisters, or even mom and dad.
I think there is a video of this book. If i am not mistaken he has spoken at ASU.
Kasey

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:40 am
All-star
All-star

Kasey, Cedric did speak at ASU. It was 3 years ago, I think. Elizabeth could tell you more. Her daughter, Charity, had to read the book as a freshman.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]