View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Poverty and IQ scores 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Here comes that word poverty again. It continues to haunt educators in many different areas. I read a very interesting article from Mcgraw-Hill. It stated that low IQ scores can be directly associated with malnutrition and poverty. Often minority ethnic groups are associated with lower IQ scores. As educators are aware, nutrition affects the ability to think and learn. Could poverty then be a cause to why minority groups living in a socioeconomically poor atmoshphere are not testing well? Just a thought.
It does not have anything to do with the color of the skin, just the biological make-up and attitudes under the skin.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just a thought on the topic. My husband teaches in a school with a very large minority. They all get breakfast in the morning and free lunch. So they are getting at least two meals. I also think that it has something to do with time that parents might spend with their child. Talking to them or reading to them. I think that low SES sometimes have parents that work long shifts or are too tired when they come home to be able to help their child. The parents that might have more time becuase they don't work can help their child more. Our school does allow us to see who the students that are recieving free or reduced lunches. These are usually the students who are at risk of failing and we have to watch their progress very closely.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found it fascinating that all of the students at your husband's school receive two meals a day. That seems to be a great way to help the students who are not able to concentrate due to being hungry. Does your husband see a difference in the students like behavioral and academic due to being served the two meals a day? I know I have seen students who lost all aspects of concentration and behavior when they were sitting in the classroom hungry.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We have several elementary schools that have a Universal breakfast program, serving breakfast to every child in the school. This breakfast is delivered to each classroom every morning. Our county also offers several school sites each summer in which any child under the age of 18 can come for a free hot lunch. These sites are located primarily in town where there is the opportunity to walk to the school site. Adults can also buy a lunch for a reduced rate. We had several students at the school I was at last year, that the meals served at school (breakfast and lunch) were the only meals they were receiving all day.
I had the opportunity to visit several schools across NC this spring. There was one elementary in the eastern part of our state that had a 21st century afterschool program (I think it is a grant for Title I schols). A component of this program provided the students with a "boxed" meal to take home.
I think that a school should focus and the whole child, even though we can't go home with them, we can do everything within our scope of power to ensure their success (both physical, mental and academic).

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:48 am
All-star
All-star

WoW! These programs sound great! It saddens me to think of people going hungry, especially children. For a year or so, I, too, only ate at school. Iw was hard. I felt shamed, like I had done something wrong and had to hide my poorness. Otherwise, I knew I would be teased. Back to the subject of IQ, I'm sure malnutrition plays a part in test scores. It would be easy to "test." We could give a test to a group of kids who are hungry and then another to a similar group who have eaten...
I think that a major part of the IQ issue is that these kids aren't being nurtured educationally. Many times, their parents had negative school experiences, etc. and therefore aren't capable of helping their children with difficult work, don't see the point, or are too tired. Often, a print-rich environment is lacking.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Melanie, I really liked the idea of a lunch program during the summer. I taught summer school this summer and for the first few days they had all of these students come that were not on the roster. It turned out that they were hungry and just wanted to eat. Do you know who sponsers the program? I think it is a wonderful idea. I do think that the childen who are on free and reduced lunch are usually the ones in which the parents are working just to feed them and have a hard time finding time to help with reading and homework.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Melanie: What county provides all these food services for students? It is a wonderful service to children. Many students at our school only eat while they are at school. One student in 2nd grade told us that she only eats at school. At home, they have no food. We try to make sure that she has plenty of food on her tray at lunch.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I work in Burke County, and two years ago our school qualified for the summer lunch program. People from the community could come and get lunch every weekday. Children up to 18 were eligible. I'm not exactly sure, but my understanding was we qualified due to the percentage of kids eligible for free and reduced lunch. I believe it was funded by the Title I Program.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]