View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The American Dream at Groton 
All-star
All-star

I thought the video we watched in class, The American Dream at Groton, was very interesting. Being an educator, I have always been intrigued by different schools, their teaching methods, and the educational atmospheres they provide for their students. I can't imagine attending a boarding school at all, much less one with the prestige that Groton seems to have. I realize that it is a school for the children of the upper class, but according to the film, it is now admitting some students on scholarship, and some minorities. What is the "draw" for this school and others like it? Is it that the academic curriculum is more "rigid" or advanced beyond what these students could get in public school, or is it just the fact that it is an "upper class school" for students of the wealthy? Is it the fact that by attending Groton these students have a better chance of being accepted by an Ivey League school? What do you think? As for me, I always wanted to attend Harvard...I thought this Ivey League school would provide the highest quality education...BUT my SAT was, of course, not high enough, and I could have never afforded it.

I am thinking that parents of students that attend Groton feel a combination of reasons why they want their children to attend Groton or a school like it. They desire a private education of the highest quality from a school that is prestigious, and known for it's graduates ability to attend Ivey League schools may be a draw for these upper class families.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Elizabeth, I have thought and thought about what I would want for my own children if they were actually given the opportunity through scholarship to attend such a prestegious school and I still have not been able to come up with an answer. I tried to think of the advantages on one hand and the disadvantages on the other. I can't convince myself that the advantages out weigh the disadvantages. What advantages do you think this type of education would offer other than an Ivy League education?

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Anna, I have done the very same thing. I have been wondering, if the option had ever presented itself, would I have wanted to send my children to Groton or a school similiar to it. Like you, I can't come up with a definate answer. I had always hoped for a very good education for my children, and really had no other option but public school. It it hard for me to imagine them having had teachers that were any more dedicated, hard working, and having their best interest at heart than those they have had in public schools. I also, know how hard I work as a teacher, and friends and colleagues work, so I don't think the faculty could have been much better. I would have been concerned about them being constantly around the upper class, and what values they may have picked up. I certainly wouldn't wish for them to think of themselves as better than others. I must say, depending on the quality of academics/curriculum, and if it really proved to be more challenging/advanced to where I thought they would have excelled, I may have considered sending them to a school like Groton. I would have liked for them to attend an Ivey League school because of the advantages job-wise and future-wise it may have brought them.

But, back to reality...My daughter is a junior at ASU and she has loved every minute of it and done very well, and ASU was the only place she ever wanted to go...so I couldn't be happier with her education choice.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Elizabeth, I think ASU is a great school as well!!I think happiness in a situation can go a long way. If my children were happy and felt accepted at a school such as Groton I would support it to the end. However, if others were making her feel as thouh she did not belong... the mama in me would want her to come. On the other extreme, I am not sure that I would want my children to attend a low-performing school. I try to teach my children to accept all types of people but at the same time, I want my children to be treated with respect and be treated fairly. Even though these schools are on completely different spectrums, I think each situation would lend itself to judge and treat them differently. I am certain it was extremely hard for Jo's parents to drop her off in a situation that was so troubling for her. Her parents must be proud of her accomplishments! I think she accomplished much more than a great education in books. She received an education in life.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]