View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Lost at Groton 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What a fascinating video. I think Jo is a representation of how many of our Hispanic students feel at school. To varying degrees, I feel that our schools unintentionally alienate students. Last year, I took a Leadership for Diversity class at ASU, in this class, we talked a great deal about how students from other cultures can't see themselves in the school, whether it be in the content, conversation, or even decor. At first, I thought that this was a overstatement, until I toured the school I was at through the eyes of a Hispanic student. The school I was at was 35% Hispanic, yet there was very little in the building that students could identify with.
I don't think a third grader feels as strong as Jo in not fitting in at home or at school, but I think that the seperation begins in kindergarten and builds.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I took an ELL course online last year and it too opened my eyes. I looked at my room and determined if I had a mix of races displayed in pictures, books, etc. I also try to incoroporate stories dealing with different backgrounds and races. I have never been put in a situation like Jo, but I do think that she was a strong person to be able to endure this climate and move on. This movie really reminded me of Cedric in Hope In the Unseen. In the end he was able to adjust to his surrondings.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too thought about Cedric at Brown when thinking about Jo. Both of them felt like social outcasts. It is so sad. I never thought about how difficult it must be for these kinds of students to enter this glorified world. I wonder how well anyone from such a low social economic background would do in that situation not thinking about skin color. My parents where middle class and I think I would have a hard time fitting in with all of those kids from such prestigious backgrounds.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I made the same connection Kelly did with Cedric and Jo. I've never been in a position in which I am in the minority or that everything that happens around me doesn't involve my culture. This is one of those areas in which I am weak. I just don't know how I would feel if placed in a situation that did not foster my culture.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel as educators we need to be very aware of our our ESL and minority student's feelings. We need to learn as much as we can about their culutres as to enhance their education. It is our job to help these students adjust to our society without loosing the own roots.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The Leadership for Diversity class that we had to take really opened my eyes. I sometimes dreaded the class because it made me uncomfortable, I had to face many of my misconceptions. I also couldn't relate. Yet, it is the class that I have thought of the most when working with students.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]