View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hope In the Unseen 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After reading this book the one thing that sort of stuck out were the parts of the book that were from the preacher's point of view. I found it sad that a person so trusted by all of these people would take advantage of their situation and take so much of their money. Cedric's mom gave her last little bit of money to the church and then it talks about the preacher having a large house and nice cars. I'm assuming this kind of thing still goes on today.

Also after reading the book it made me think back to my undergrad. We had several black students that did sort of stick together in our dorms. I wonder if they felt out of place. It was very interesting to look from others point of view.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Cedric's story was inspiring to me. Reading about his high school and college life made me realize the true struggles that minorities encounter on a day to day basis. Cedric was truly a strong, determined young man who defeated all odds.

As I reflect about the book I think my favorite part was in the author's notes. A professor at Harvard showed his graduate class a slide of the book and said he heard that Cedric was working at the GAP in Providence. That's when Cedric interupted his professor and said he was at Harvard in graduate school!!! :D

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed reading this book, and found Cedric to be amazing. Against all odds, he suceeded, and I think that's because he kept focusing on his education. I wish our local high school students could read this book. I think it would be inspiring for many of them to read.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also think that high school students should read this book. I think that Cedric's story could be an inspiration for many other students. So many times people find themselves in situations that they think they will never get out of but this story is a living testimony that you can change your circumstances through hard work and determination. I often wonder why some students can come out of bad situation while others are stuck. Is it because of the connections and relationships that are made while in school, church or community??

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think some students come out of bad situations and make it because of their determination along with their support systems. They believe they can. At least one person in their lives has encouraged them to acheive success. SOmetimes that is all it takes. One person

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]