View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 'Wal-Martian' 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed reading this book because I could relate to her struggle. I worked as soon as I was legally allowed to work. I worked in fast food and at Wal Mart for 6 years. Most of the time I worked two jobs and went to school. I could relate to the part that she talked about doing the same job over and over again. I worked at these places during college. I think it was an advantage for me to work there because I did not want to work there the rest of my life. I used it like Cedric did for something to push off of. I wanted to do well in school and do something else. I did not want to come to work with the same task day after day.

I liked reading this book now because it is frustrating being a teacher and working SO hard all the time and not making enough money. Then reading this book it reminded me of how awful those other jobs were. I felt exactly as she did when she said she felt like everyone is going somewhere and doing something and she was stuck in a box that whole time (at Wal Mart) and being treated like she was less of a human being. There are so many jobs that are even more demanding or difficult than our job is.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You're right Lindsey! It seems the more demanding and stressful the job, the less respect the worker receives. I worked at Eckerd in college and was treated like an idiot by customers. People showed no respect whatsoever and acted like because I worked wherev they shopped they were more intelligient than I could ever hope to be. It's all about putting yourself in someone else's moccasins!

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I always try to make sure that if I'm out shopping and someone made a mess, I pick it up (like if I'm at a clothes rack and several shirts are on the ground). I'm a little obcessive-compulsive at times and like things neat and orderly. I don't know how Barbara was treated by being guilty--but I've seen others treated poorly. It makes me angry because I know that they have it rough. You get what jobs you can with the resources you have--it isn't your fault if the factory you worked at for 20 years stole your pension and your only option is WalMart or fast food.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:14 pm
All-star
All-star

Exactly, Lisa. You, also, never know when you will be forced (or need the extra income apart from teaching) to work at a minimum wage paying job.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with your comment. As I posted earlier about being a waitress during high school and college, I kept thinking that I may have to go back to those circumstances --- we never know what situations may lead us back to the minimum wage job.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do the same as Lisa, if I'm out shopping I'll also pick up items lying on the floor, and most times, I'll even wipe off my table after eating out. When I graduated from high school I went to work in a mill, sewing in tee shirt sleeves. I wasn't there long before I knew that I didn't want that job for the rest of my life. So, I started attending college classes at night and working at a sewing machine during the day. It took a long time, but I finally got my college degree.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The description of her experience in WalMart was unbelievable. It is amazing to me that the mission and vision of WalMart are in direct contrast to thier practices.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]