View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hope in the Unseen 
All-star
All-star

Thinking back on the question that was asked in class--"Why did Cedric make it?" I really think his success did have a lot to do with the people who believed in him all along. His mother had such great hoopes for him--he was her chance at a better life. She tried to be upbeat about his future and she made great sacrifices to him, sacrifices that did not go unnoticed. On top of their daily struggles, she did what she could to keep her son off the streets where he would surely crash and burn. She created a network for him through the church. Coupled with the teacher that believed in him and his own desire to escape his situation, Cedric did have a team of "coaches" rooting for him. I think that sometimes all it takes is a desire to do better, something to "push against," and people who believe in you no matter the odds.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:50 pm
All-star
All-star

Bobbi, I agree with you exactly on the reasons you stated for Cedric's success. I couldn't help but greatly admire Cedric's mother as I read this book. She really stuck out in my mind as the major influence on Cedric. She encouraged and supported his every effort. She wanted something better for him than she had had. She, also, reared him in the church, which speaks volumes to me. He had the teacher that was a big influence on him, as well. Also, Cedric WANTED to be successful. He wanted a good education and future. He was highly motivated. I think even if a person has people behind them that support and encourage them in doing well and being successful, they still must desire it themselves, and Cedric did.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It would be an absolute dream come true if we had the power to inspire every student to do well in life. I wish there was a simple solution for asspirations and dreams. I was talking to the guidance counselor from our local high school just a few weeks ago on this topic. Together in our 15 minute conversation we were trying to fix the problems of the world. One of our biggest concerns we discussed is the high number of student drop outs there are at Freedom. We were saying that programs need to be put into place that would solidify a career path for every student that graduautes from HS. High schoolers need just as much if not more hands on experiences as elementary students. It would be great if every child ended up in college, but realistically that is not going to happen. A technical job with good training and experience is much better than walking away from high school with credits that are useless to you. What is even worse is graduauting from a high school with the reading level of maybe a sixth grader, and still holding no skills to fall back on. I think the Middle College High Schools may be a start in the right direction. The Low student to teacher ratio and the college credits may just be appealling to those that would other wise fall through the cracks.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]