View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Dewey: The School and Social Progress 
All-star
All-star

Dewey's writing style may be a bit dense, but I enjoyed this article very much once I deciphered it. Although this article was written in response to the industrial revolution, it has a lot of bearing on the technological revolution our society has been experiencing. Our industrial way of life is ending plant by plant, and our students will not likely be employed in the factories that their parents worked in (with little education) and made a decent living at. We really do need to rethink our schools. I feel that the model we use today is outdated. School, more and more, really does need to be cooperative. Students do need to learn through exploration. Hmmm...suggestions, anyone?

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Bobbi, thank you for your helpful comments in class. I had a hard time understanding this article, but after our class discussion, I began to understand it. We lost lots of furniture plants in Morganton, and many people lost their jobs. No one thought these plants would leave, but they did. Many of our students in high school were looking for jobs. I wish students in high school with no intention of going to college could attend a vocation type school or class. The class or classes would teach them a local trade or job in a short time. (not 4 years of college)

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you, and someone more important than me does, too. In Caldwell County, they've established a Career Center High School. as juniors, students (who apply, get selected, and have already been taking a half-day program of vocational classes at the community college) get accepted to this school and attend full time. I applied for a job there, so as a result of the interview process and research, I feel that I know a bit about the school. One major point is that core classess--math, science, English, etc. are integrated into these classes. An English teacher might be on site where a house is being built and teach relevant lessons while there. A math teacher could teach measuring, etc. and so forth. I think the concept is phenemenal! It reminds me a lot of the website Dr. Turner pulled up in class. The great thing is that these students graduate in 5 years with an associate's degree fully qualified to go into high paying fields. In fact, and I think I mentioned this when we stayed after class to discuss the midterm, the new type of worker is "gold collar." They have associate's degrees and are skilled workers. Apparently, most people with four year degrees are overqulaified for the jobs they end up with. I think we need to talk to our students about ALL of their options, not just four year colleges because that route just isn't for everyone, no matter how bright they may be.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wow, what a program!!! I wish we had something similiar in Burke County. I think our education system could serve ALL students if we had a program like the one in Caldwell.

There are two new high schools being build in Burke County. One is scheduled to open in 07 and the other one about a year later. How nice it would be if one of these new schools offered a similiar program.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]