View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 AG Placememt 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My friend Kathy and I were talking about the different books that we have read for this class. She could relate to many of the racial/class issues that we have talked about. When Kathy's son was seven, he transfered from an eastern Burke school to one on the other end of the county. When he was registered at the new school, no one bothered to ask where he needed to be placed academically. Kathy just thought they would look in his records to find out. Well, they decided to place him in the lower classes just to see how he does. What the teachers did not realize was that he was actually academically gifted. He breezed through the work and complained constantly about how easy this new school was to him. Kathy at that point went to the school to see what was going on. She was floored when they told her what classes he was in. The teachers were speechless. Bill is black. Kathy is convinced that if Bill were not, that would have not happened. Kathy has her own "Cedric" in Bill. He does not allow his past, his color, or the opinions of others determine his future. He wants to do it for himself.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel so sorry for your friend, Kathy. It's hard to believe that things like this are still happening in our school system.

Hopefully, Bill won't be scarred from this experience. How sad to think that someone's foolish mistake could make a child hate school. Bill does sound somewhat like Cedric. Hope he continues to be successful.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am too very surprised that this happened tp Bill in this day and age. I know there are a lot of people out in the world that stereotype other people due to sex, religion, race, etc. But you would expect teachers not to be among them. Any qualified teacher or person should not make assumptions. We should know better from past experiences. Every student is unique and should be closely assessed and looked at before judgements are made about their capabilities.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:03 pm
All-star
All-star

Is Kathy a teacher? I know that I get very frustrated when my EC kids come in and I don't find it out until a month later when records come. That is a LOT of support that the child has lost. Same scenario with AIG. I know we have cluster groups of AIG students so that they are placed appropriately.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]