View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Minimum Wage 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that some states have implemented higher minimum wages (i.e. Washington state) when others are sticking with the old $5.15 an hour?! Especially when you take into consideration that the cost of living is pretty much the same in the rural areas of Washington as our area. It is a bit of a relief to know our state has increased the minimum wage however.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:58 am
All-star
All-star

The government sets the minimum standard--and it's up to the states (and the voters) to make the individual states accountable for setting the wage above the minimum. It might be something that those who earn the minimum wage need to complain about--but, when would they find the time between working 2 fulltime jobs?

Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Nora, my husband's cousin was talking about a job that paid just over $10.00 an hour and that it was a good paying job...Dr. Turner told us that Washington State's minimum wage was approximately 10.00. I was shocked. How can what could be considered a good paying job in NC be minimum wage in another state??

Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was shocked when I learned in class that the minimum wage is basically the same for all states except Alaska and Hawaii. I thought every state would be different depending on the cost of living. Although I knew the amount of minimum wage is not enough to be above poverty level, I did think some states would be higher. People don't have a chance especially in big cities like NYC or Washington DC. Can't the government open their eyes and see the problem. We sure have enough money to send to all these other countries but we can't even help the people in our own country. It is so disheartening.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had heard the pros and cons of the minimum wage debate. I felt that I needed to read more about it. Here is a website that offered good information for me.
http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/issueguides_minwage

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks for the website Anna. I pulled it up and it answered many questions I had concerning the different wages set for the different states. Thanks
Kasey

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thanks for the web site Anna. The information was very helpful. People working for minimum wage have a hard time this day and time. Record gas prices, food prices, daycare prices, everything has gone up but the minimum wage amount.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We can hardly get by, with a decent paying job. I can't even begin to imagine how people do it. I get discouraged daily with what it takes to get by. I sometimes gripe about not being able to afford to go on nonessentials like vacations or movies or satellite, I can not fathom not being able to afford milk, gas, heat or food in general.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]