View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Walmart image 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This quote was taken directly from an article on WalMart.com
"In space formerly occupied by a video game arcade, Wal-Mart's Rohnert Park store today is opening a low-cost medical center aimed at customers who don't have health insurance and who can't wait for an appointment.

"It is quality medical care delivered by a physician at a price they can afford to pay, in a location they already frequent," said Dave Mandelkern, president of QuickHealth, which operates three similar basic service clinics in the Bay Area.

Local health-care experts say the walk-in clinics fulfill consumer demand for simple, low-cost medical care that might otherwise be treated in hospital emergency rooms where treatment is expensive.

"It will take some of the heat off emergency rooms where people shouldn't be going for routine care anyway," said health consultant Bob Shirrell. "This will help people without insurance and having something beats having nothing every time."

I think is is deplorable that Walmart paints a public image such as this, a store dedicated to helping those who need it, but work hard to make sure that the majority of thier employees are part time so they can't receive benefits.

Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree! I heard the same broadcast on NPR that Dr. Turner refered to in class last week, and it was so incensing! To think that a company so large sacrifices the American public in the name of capitalism! So it claims not to use sweatshops--everything is American made, but at what costs?
Also, in reference to Nickeled and Dimed and the customer being the enemy: when I was dating the affluent boyfriend I've mentioned in class several times and we'd go to stores (seldom Wal-Mart), his mother would tell me not to worry about putting the clothes back where I got them from--they paid somebody to do that. Enough said.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

WalMart wants to look and sound as if they are there for everyone, and having a low cost medical office sounds wonderful. But, if they truly wanted to help our economy, they would try to hire more people and offer them benefits. I'd always heard that Sam Walton (I think that was his name), the past owner of WalMart, wanted to put his stores in small communities and not big cities. He seemed to be interested in helping the middle to lower class. He is now deceased and someone else is in charge. I don't think Sam Walton would be happy with what WalMart has become!

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with the comments made concerning the initial intent of Walmart's founder. I realize that any company wants to make a profit but I feel that the employees of today's companies, like Walmart, are being taken advantage of. By keeping people on call, employees have a more difficult time finding full-time employment, keeping them chained to big business.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:22 pm
All-star
All-star

One of my student's parents work at Wal-Mart and all I can think about is how does she make ends meet raising three kids on her own? (And mind you, they are tough cookies, too!) I just have a new respect for her, especially being shafted by her employer.

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like Barbara about Sam Walton. I don't believe the intension he had when he started the business are the same today. Walmart does need to provide medical ninsurance to their employees and have set schedules. What is being done to these employees for profit is unthinkable. Having clinics in a few Walmart stores does not fix the problem. If they were in every store and all employees had free access than maybe I'd commend Walmart. Employees would also have to have set schedules and not be on call. There are enough Walmart employees out there for this to be done.

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]