View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 bell hooks lecture, ASU van reservations 
Site Admin

This is a great opportunity to hear bell hooks on Monday, Oct. 30th, with all arrangements provided by ASU.

Quote:
Dr. bell hooks, a renowned scholar, feminist, social thinker, cultural critic, teacher, writer and widely respected intellectual has been writing and speaking for many years on women, race, culture, class, sexuality and their interconnected nature. hooks is the author of numerous critically acclaimed and influential books on the politics of race, gender, class and culture. Her first book, written in 1981, the acclaimed AINT I A WOMAN: BLACK WOMEN AND FEMINISM, was named one of the - twenty most influential women books of the last twenty years - by PUBLISHERS WEEKLY. Her book OUTLAW CULTURE, and her film CULTURAL CRITICISM AND TRANSFORMATION are dedicated solely to hooks desire to nurture in her readers a critical eye. She has recently written a series of books on love and children.

Sponsored by the Lecture Series

Doors open at 6 p.m. for those with Salem Academy and College identification.
Doors open at 6:15 p.m. for the general public.

There are nine spaces left for students in the van leaving from ASU. Here is the message from Dr. Jill Ehnenn, who is coordinating the trip. Email here at ehnennjr if you are interested.

Quote:
Hello all,

Maggie and I have arranged for a bus to take students and faculty to hear bell hooks talk next Monday 10/30 at Salem College in Winston Salem. The bus will leave promptly at 4:15; doors open to non-Salem College folks at 6:15; the talk starts at 7. Everything is free.

At the moment, there are about 9 seats still available. If you or your students want to go, please write to me and I'll put you on the list, first come first serve. (I already have the following faculty on the list, so let me know if you've changed your mind and I'll give away your seat: Georgia Rhoades, Gayle Turner, Jill Ehnenn, Maggie MacFadden, Kim Hall, Beth Carroll, Emily Lindner, Tina Groover)

And big thanks to Martha (and to the Hubbard Center) for coming up with the funds for the bus and driver!

Jill

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]