View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Why did God not accept Cain's offering? 
All-star
All-star

Cain's offering was brought of the fruit of the ground. Abel brought an offering of the firstlings of his flock. God required, in the Old Testament, a blood sacrifice of the first born, usually a lamb or goat. The lamb would have to be spotless and without blemish and this was an example of the future Lamb of God, Jesus Christ. Cain's bringing of his offering was rejected because it was not the type of offering God required. Cain decided to bring his offering to God on his own terms rather than on God's terms. In time, God did send His son, the Lord, Jesus Christ as a final sacrifice for the sins of mankind. God accepted the sacrifice of His son for the sins of the world because Jesus is the spotless Lamb of God who was slain, that our sins might be forgiven.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:19 pm

Maybe the murder of Abel was a foreshadowing of the eventual sacrifice of Jesus? Just a thought.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:29 pm
All-star
All-star

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found this discussion very fascinating! As I was thinking about Cain and Abel I could not help but to focus on Cain and his struggle with being seperated from God. With the death of Abel, murder was introduced into the world. As more sin increased more grace was needed from God. Laws of man had to be established because "law" makes sin what it is "sin." Grace and forgiveness had to be established because God wanted us to need him. If we lived in a perfect world without frustrations, struggles and pain, we would not need God. Just as sin seperated Cain from God, it continues to do the same thing today. God is good. He is a God of mercy and grace. However, I feel that just because God is good does not necessarily mean he is nice. He allows man to be man and punishes when it is just. The same is true with parenting and teaching... a good parent is not nice all the time. Sometimes you do things out of love because it just needs to be done.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:01 pm
All-star
All-star

Anna, all very well said. It is very hard to discipline our own children (students, too) at times. I think sometimes people take the easier way out and just "let things go," rather and to "stand firm" on certain issues. Because I love my son so much (and my daughter too, but my son is my difficult one) I have had to show a lot of "tough love," in hopes of eventually being able to see him turn his life around. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done, but know I am doing the right thing. I think God, many times, has to do this same thing with His children, as well.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Elizabeth, I think you make an excellent point, and one that I agree with. God created Adam and Eve, and then a murder occurs in the next generation. That is ironic.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to say ladies I was very grateful for our discussion on this topic and for reading your entries. You have given me a new perspective on this story (that as I mentioned in class) I have struggled with. And right on Anna! I totally get what you're saying. Thank you.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]