View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Are we Cultural Prisoners? 

Ishmael speaks about a cultural prison. He said the world of the takers is one vast prison. We are trapped, imprisoned in our capitalist, taker world. I don't see any way of escaping, unless you have wealth. It's like Ishmael said, if you don't work, you don't get fed. We have to work harder and harder to keep up with the growth of our culture. Living in this culture is getting way too expensive as well. So many people can not keep up;
Nickel and Dimed. It would be dreamy to let it go; live off of the land, meet our needs on a daily basis, trust in the Lord to provide. In a sense our culture is a prison, and we are on death row. If we continue to mis treat the earth, we will destroy it and ourselves.

Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that wealth necessarily gets you out of the prison, but builds the walls taller and thicker.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I think wealth can certainly free you from the "prison." However, that wealth has to have been earned by someone who at some point was fully entrenched in capitalism, etc. If your main concern is not buying, buying, buying, (etc.) and your wealth is enough that you don't have to be concerned with building it up, etc, then you can escape. To what end, I'm not sure!

Um..now I'm confused.

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't see wealth as a bad thing but I do think that every person should make decisions based on how it will effect our society. I don't think this happens very often.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]