View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Delpit 
All-star
All-star

I read the Delpit reading, and was so thankful that it was assigned at such a perfect moment! I met with the superintendent this past Tuesday, and one issue we discussed was how to help our minority students achieve higher. He mentioned that this problem would make a lot of us have uncomfortable conversations/introspections. I mailed him a copy of the reading because I felt that it really provided some insights into the "cultural disconnect" that we are experiencing. I really believe that the differences discussed by Delpit contribut in a large way to the discrepencies in testing scores between the minorities and those in "cultural power."

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sends along interesting and important readings to administrators! This article had many valid points. It caused me to think about how and what I ask my students to do. I always try to be direct in what I tell my students so that they know what is expected. I have a good relationship with my black students and parents, so I've never really had to deal with issues that were mentioned in the article.

One of our teachers has been working on a process approach to writing--really being specific on each step. ALL of the kids are doing well with the expectations and all have invested so much personal emotion into their writing that I"m impressed by what has been shown.

On page 34 of the article, I highlighted that middle-class people tend to give directives in the form of the question. I never thought of that, but it was certainly true! I really think that Lisa Delpit and Ruby Payne should get together. They both have noted a lot of the same "rule" for the classes.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also highlighted that same section. It has made me reflect about about my own teaching style. I guess I did teach to the middle-class students by indirectly asking questions instead of telling what I expect. My thinking was that if the child had a choice they would be more likely to buy into and do what I am asking. But if you were not brought up these "hidden rules", of the power culture, you don't understand. Now I am more aware of how I word my directions. I know direct instuction is what is needed and understood by some cultures. This also works well for me becuase I am a kindergarten teacher. Five year olds need to be taught directly. They most often trake things literally. Because of rezoning in our school district a few years ago our student population has moved from the middle-class culture to a much poorer culture. As good teachers we need to adapt for this change in our population and give these students the direct instruction that they need to get along in the middle-class culture of power. We can not assume they understand the middleclass hidden rules. They need to be taught them without turning their backs to their own comfortable culture's rules.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree. I never really thought about the way I phrase things when talking to my class. Sometimes I phrase things as a question (like I do with my own children), not thinking that for the minority children they may chose not to do what I want-- not because they are disrespectful, but because of the way I have asked. Now I will be more aware of different cultures and the way I phrase things in my class.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have also started to reword phrases that I would normally say in the form of a question. It really does work. I never thought of it that way, it seems like common sense now that I look back it. Why did it take that article to make me see that?

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]