View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Rorty 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to say I really enjoyed our class discussion on Rorty. Melanie you are right on with educators and the boat philosophy! How true that everyday we must "rebuild" at sea! I really enjoyed our group discussions and being able to make more sense of the reading.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, our class discussions do help me to better understand readings such as Rorty. I too believe in the boat philosphy over the building philosphy. Not all students come to us with the same solid foundation on which to build. Our teaching is and sould be more like the boat. As teachers we are constantly assessing and reflecting upon our teaching practices always making little adjustments in our currecnt methods without starting over or throwing everything out. I think this is a very good way (philosphy) to think about what we should do as teachers.

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:48 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also think about the plane analogy. While the plane is in flight we make minor adjustments to our teaching and fix any problems while in the air. The video that we saw in another class says it all. I wish you all could see this perfect example of what teachers do everyday with their students.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:51 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Good point ladies! I am constantly changing things around so that I can better accomodate my students' needs.
Mitzi while I was doing my student teaching I was able to go around and observe so many classrooms. I really wish there was time set aside every year so that teachers could go to another school and see what other educators are doing. I would love to see their boats. :lol:

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:52 pm
All-star
All-star

All excellent comments, ladies! During our class discussion last time, I immediately "cued in" to the boat analogy, but had just never thought of it that way. Every day, and many nights when I wake up, I constantly "rebuild my boat," as I think of new or different approaches to teaching my students. It seems as though my mind is constantly thinking and planning, almost to the point of exhaustion, of things I can do, redo, or change to better educate my students.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]