View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Only Five Schools of Excellence in North Carolina 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

According to our local administration, there were only five schools of excellence in North Carolina, and the elementary school in Rutherford College is one of the five. Congratulations to Rutherford College Elementary School. As the bar is raised each year, fewer and fewer schools are making the mark.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Congratulations to those five schools. You would think that someone would see that by raising the bar on student achievement they are setting up more and more students to fail. I used to think that the state would do anything just to keep from giving us our ABC bonus but after some of the conversations in class and on the discussion board I am starting to think they are just trying to reduce the number of students who qualify for college admissions. I would how long this will go on before something is done about this ridiculous trend.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess I never thought about it that way. The bar being raised to lower college admissions. This makes sense. It seems like no matter how much training we get or how much we teach our hearts out trying everything under the sun to move our students ahead it is not working. I believe our students are getting better educations each year but there are still no bonuses. Our school received the ABC Bonus one time in the nine years I've been teaching. That was about 7 or 8 years ago. We have teachers now that are more knowdgeable, better trained and harder working (including myself) in our school today and still no bonus. It does not seem right or fair. I'm all for high student achievment and high expectations but the bar is being raised too high.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I understand and agree that the bar should be raised for our students but I don't think that the general public understands why our scores are so dismal. They just see what is printed in the papers and assume that our schools are failing. I believe as school personnel we must be able to discuss these testing issues with parents and community members so that they will be better informed about the successes in our schools.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]