View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The Poisonwood Bible 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Interesting novel...I found the book very difficult to put down. I enjoyed hearing the voices of all the girls in the Price family.

I was very interested in Oprah's comments about the book. I went to her website and found some interesting comments about the novel. There were several items to choose from and even the show discussion!! I couldn't get it to play on my home computer but I hope it works on my school computer tomorrow.

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found it interesting that I could see the decline in each of the girl's beliefs as the book went on. They seemed to question their belief in god more and more as things that were bad kept happening. Dad seemed to be trying to make sure that all of the people in the town were religious, but seemed to forget about his own children. This book had some very interesting ideas. I am really enjoying it.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You made such a good point about the dad and the Price girls. I thought about when Mom and Ruth May were terribly sick and in bed for weeks. Dad didn't even seem to care, he only cared about trying to convert the people in the village over to Christianity, while his actions at home were not christian like towards his own family.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The Price family went through such a transformation from the beginning of the book until the end. Each girl changed in some way. Leah's and Ada's faith probably the most. I don't think that Leah's faith was oringinally in God, but in her father. The two were so aligned for her that she could not differentiate the two, therefore when her faith in her father declined her faith in God naturally went with it. [/code]

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Some very good points were made by you, ladies! I was most astounded by the father's lack of concern for his family who stuck by his side even when they found it difficult to do so. I would not have minded an aside, seeing into the father's thoughts after the women left him. I wonder if he had any regrets, worried about them, or was he just as oblivious after they left?

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:45 pm
All-star
All-star

I read this book in one sitting! Yes, I was a little sore by the time it was all over (from sitting), but it was the most amazing and memorable book I've read (aside from my all-time favorite Gone With the Wind. I am writing to admit that I have read so many books that I can't always remember which ones I've read. Do you guys feel like that? I bought this book and put it on my shelf without ever reading it. I thought I had read it when I saw it on our class listing, but once I got started, I knew I hadn't!
So, to speak to some of the issues raised above: I, too, was shocked by how the Reverend was to his own family. I really felt that the Congo had some "magic" that drove the Reverend mad. It really most have been his guilt, though, and the powerlessness he felt there at the mercy of nature.
I was somewhat dissapointed by Rachel's shallowness. i kept hoping that she would show some spunk, something more than fixating on her blonde hair and worldly comforts.

Adah was my favorite character, perhaps because she reminded me a bit of myself. I love poetry, I love playing with words, and sometimes I write things backwards. In fact, I once wrote a poem to my husband entitled, "Dear Mr. Renklauf" (faulkner backwards)

This book made me want to read the history of the Congo. I'm really not familiar with any of the historical events referenced in the novel--is that shameful to admit?

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:47 pm
All-star
All-star

Each of you, ladies, made such insightful comments about The Poisonwood Bible. Bobbi, I too, know very little about the history of the Congo and would like to learn more. I am amazed that you were able to read this book in one sitting! It has taken me a while and I still have about 10 pages left. I have really enjoyed the book. I did find myself growing angrier with the father as the book went on. I really don't think he showed "fruit of the Spirit" at all by the way in which he treated his wife and daughters. He seemed to only care about how many Africans he could convert to Christianity. His Christianity (if it were true Christianity) should have started in the home with his family. My husband is a Baptist minister and his Christianity does indeed begin in the home...I couldn't help but think about how thankful I am for my husband as I read this novel, and knew that I could not relate at all to the Baptist minister in this book. I think I related most to Orleanna. I was amazed at her strength, and dedication to her daughters. She thought of her family more than she did of herself. I, too, have dedicated much of my life to my children. I don't think I could have "survived" her life as it was in the Congo...especially the part about Ruth May (and Orleanna too, I am sure) eating caterpillars!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, ladies!

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My grandmother had an old saying, "Practice what you preach", and Nathan said one thing but did something else. His actions show that he was not the kind of person he pretended to be. He certainly seems on a mission to try and save as many souls as he can, and practically destroys his family.

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I kept expecting the father to come back at the end of the book or change. Something. When they were talking about how they had heard he had died I was shocked. I think he went crazy after being in the war. I liked the comment about 'practice what you preach'. That is so true.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

AMEN! I find myself disgusted ith Nathan throughout the book. His is not a righteous mission. He is simply there to see how many "souls he can save", as you said Barbara. He definitely should have practiced what he preached, especially considering he was a minister. Perhaps his slogan could have been "do as I say, not as I do".

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Nora, I was also upset with Nathan throughout the book. I kept waiting for some life changing occurance to happen that would make Nathan more aware of the way he treated his family. I found it hard to believe that a Christian man would treat his family the way he did!!

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also thought that Rev. Price would see his errors and change his ways. I thought that after Ruth May's death he would realize that his attention should shift first to his family and then to the people he so wanted to convert. I can't imagine that anyone could see Jesus living within him. Actions speak louder that words.

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found myself despising the father as the book went on. I didn't really expect him to change at the end of the book because that would have been against his nature. His beliefs were so strong that one was going to change his mind. I was extremely glad when the mother finally stood up for herself and her children. Its too bad Ruth May had to die before she really got started. I was surpised that some of them stayed when they were so determined to get out for so long. Good book! I hate to say it, but Nathan got what he deserved in the end.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree! The father did get exactly what he deserved.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I, too, enjoyed the book. It was much better than some of the others. I just had a hard time understanding the mother. With me being a mother of two children, I could not stand by and sacrifice my children. I would have left the country when they were told to leave, regardless of what my husband planned to do. I hated that it took losing Ruth May before she decided to stand up to her husband.

Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]