View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Did our scientists (priest) let us down? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Over the weekend I was excited along with many others about the predicted meteor shower. I sat outside in the freezing cold between 11:45 and 2 am Saturday morning. I saw about 6-7 leniods pass by. The scientist had predicted many more than that during those peak hours. On our way home that night my boyfriend said that he guessed the scientist were wrong in their prediction. I then proceded to tell him that scientist were not priest and that is absolutely normal for them to make mistakes. (I tried to tell him about solidarity and objectivity but he was not interested in the conversation. Imagine!) Then on the radio Monday morning I heard a DJ complaining about the scientist's prediction also. I guess everyone needs to stop seeing such predictions as commandments and see them for what they really are, predictions.

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree Kelly. It is especially true for the poor weather men and women. Their predictions are often taken for the gospel truth.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you. Until our class I had not thought about how we view scientist. Most people, myself included want to look at scientific things as absolutes never changing. This is such an unrealistic way of looking at the world. Our world is always changing and our scientist are always adding additional data to form even better more accruate predictions.

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]