View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Social Capitalist Award Winners 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I read an article over the weekend that discussed the Social Capitalist Award Winners. This is a fairly new idea and one that I knew nothing about. This article talked about the 4th annual honors. Basically, honors are awarded to leaders who combine savvy business models with solutions to pressing social needs in ways that challenge our assumptions about making a profit and making a difference. The 43 honorees met the Monitor Group's stringent standards for social impact, entrepreneurship, innovation, sustainability, and growth. Big business is finally seeing that it holds some responsibility in what our future will be. I took from this article that now big business sees a way to make profits while helping form solutions for many social issues. This article is praising big business for all the great opportunities it is allowing the underprivileged to accomplish but I have to question their motives. Would these companies give a second thought about the underprivileged if there was not huge profits to be made for their companies. I would love to think that even without make extreme amounts of money theses leaders would make decisions that were good for our society for years to come. Am I wrong to question the motives of these companies or should I join the cheering section?

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would be interested in reading that article. Can you bring it to class on Thursday or tell me where you read it. I am really curious to see what big buisness if doing for the world besides making their own pockets bigger.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Given the history of big businesses and the actions of people running them, you are absolutely right in questioning their motives Mitzi!!! I would be extremely hesitant to join the cheering section just yet. Wait and see what benefits, if any, actually ever come to those who are supposedly going to benefit.

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]