View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Changes? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was reading during work as well. I had read the book in undergrad, 800 years ago. I did not remember all of the injustices. I got picked on a lot this weekend. I usually will read the books and continue during breaks between customers until I am finished. I couldn't do that with this book. I had to put it down and "take breaks". I do agree, when you are angry after the first page and 1/2- it is a good book. The problem is, I don't think the right people have read it. It should be passed out to all teachers, principals, and school board staff. The problem is compounded by the fact that many of the school board members are not familiar with what is REALLY happening in our schools. I never saw a board member in my school in 4 years. How can they know what they are advocating for if they are not familiar with the children they are supposed to be leading? I saw the discrepancies between different schools in the county I worked in. Some of the schools had computers in every room, others did not. Some of the schools have smart boards, our school did not. (Granted the school was built in 1960s and did not have the wiring for classroom phones and the computers had to have wires on the wall, rather than in, we did have working heat, air, and usually had enough books for students). Unfortunately, I don't know how we can make changes. I guess you could make the claim that NCLB is an attempt, but anyone who has been in a classroom knows there are a lot of new problems created with NCLB. Kozol makes the point shared by many that those that have want to keep and those that do not- oh well! The school I worked in was rural, VERY rural. None of the rich kids across the hill wanted to go to that school, even though it was closer- they went to the school in town. These schools are no where in contrast compared to the schools in East St. Louis, but there is a definite desire to place their children in the "richer" school. It was fine to send their children to pre-K, because they were accepted in their home school, but then quickly move them to the school across the hill for grade school. . . I can't imagine this to the level of black/white and social class. I guess I don't want to imagine. I'd like to pretend my children can grow up in a equal society. Is that even a reality anymore?

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]