View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Where is our government? 
All-star
All-star

Not even if every teacher was like Ms. Hawkins would it make a difference. I don't believe there is anything or any amount of money that the local school systems could provide as a recruiting tool for new teachers. I think the matter is now even beyond the state level. No matter how Kozol explains it, I just can't understand how these areas got to this state of being. I knew there were areas where kids were put into a track to fail from the get go. However, I never knew it was to such an extent. Where is the government; that government that we have soldiers fighting to uphold; that government that I and millions for students pledge allegiance to; that government that promises equality and fairness? It's like Kozol said about how our society has just learned to deal with separate with equal and lost 100 years of knowledge and experience. What are our wars fought for if not to uphold the foundation of truth, justice, and equality as the legs it stands upon. I can not believe that so many people live in the dark about this subject. Even myself as an educator should know about issues such as these. I just have one question... Where is our government?

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

:? I am also curious as to how the government funds public schools. If I understand Kozol right, most of the money going into public schools comes from the surrounding areas property taxes; so, the wealthy areas often have good schools while the poor areas suffer. Does the federal government stay out of public schools’ budgets? Wouldn’t it make sense for all public schools to be awarded the same amount of money per pupil? I obviously do not know enough about how this system works, but it does not seem right that the rich stay protected in their closed off happy environments while the economically disadvantaged schools rot away. Should the term PUBLIC school mean something?

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]