View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Marry someone rich... 
All-star
All-star

Before I was accepted to Appalachian State University I was wondering about what my SAT scores should be in order to get in. I decided that I would take the test once and if I did alright then I wouldn’t worry about taking it again to get my scores up. Well I performed about average and was then accepted to ASU, never to give the SAT another thought. Back then, to me, it was just a big test that told the college how well I would perform there. But now, after reading this book, I think about it a little differently. Back then it meant very little if anything to me if I did well on it. I just wanted to do well enough to get into the college I wanted. Now I see it only as a test that measures how well you can memorize and retain “certainâ€

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Here's another problem. My sister-in-law quit school when she was 16. She was pregnant with my nephew when she was 17. By 18 she had her first. By 21 she had her second and divorced. She met my brother when she was 22. And they were married. At 23 she got her diploma. She had her third child at 24. She went to school at 28 and earned a certificate for Phlebotomy (sp?).
What a life! She obvioulsy has had it rough! Now I guess my nonstop talking about almost finishing my MA has made her more determined to return to school. She has started to attend the local community college to earn a Associate Degree. Well, wonderful- - what does this have to do with schooling?
She filled out the paperwork for a loan to help pay for her childcare and classes, (even though the oldest is 13- he is VERY immature and there is NO WAY she would leave her 11 yr old and 9 yr old home with him)! She was turned down because of a credit check! Duh! A credit check. . . She was late on a Dr. bill when her youngest had to go to doctor after doctor to find out he was allergic to the nickel in his snaps! She is two months late. She cannot return to school because of a credit check. The man at the student loan help line asked her if she could go to a university! They do not do a credit check at a university. The closest to her is NCSU. She hasn't been in school for more than 5 years and then it was a certificate after a diploma. Do they really think State will let her in? I know plenty of people that could not get in and they are not as smart as she is! She doesn't have the paper to prove it!
She's been pigeon holed because she is a product of a backwoods hillbilly broken home (her words not mine)! Talk about falling between the cracks. Her mother took her to the bars when she was 13. Do you think that will help her to get any help? Her 1/2 sister is 1/4 Cherokee. She did not want to go to college. Couldn't there be any way to send the money and aid to my sister-in-law?

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]